Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

disco 1 stub axle needle bearing without new thrust ring

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 09:41 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default disco 1 stub axle needle bearing without new thrust ring

Did something dumb the other day, tore my hub and swivel ball apart for the first time. Never looking at the rave or researching at all. Decided the rover needed all new seals along with the wheel bearings that needed to be replaced. Got to the stub axle and noticed the seal behind the needle bearings. I've got the seal might as well replace it right? After a few different ideas the bearing still would not budge. So I cut that bad boy out with the dremel. Bearing shop is rightdown the road anyway. Well got the bearing about a week later. Tried to put it in the stub axle... it was a no go. So I finally researched the issue, come to find out I have to cut that ring off. I thought for a little while and decided to try without cutting it off. At this rate I was tired of waiting for parts. Used some 800 grit sandpaper and smoothed out all the imperfections. Threw the bearing in the freezer over night. The next day I put the stub on top of the kerosene heater. Placed my new seal in the stub axle, smeared a very small amount of anti-sieze on the bearing. Dropped that thing right in there with minimal tapping. If my freezer was just a little colder I wouldn't have had to tap at all. Worked very well.