Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 d2 fresh rebuild oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 11:15 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 d2 fresh rebuild oil leak

Hey guys, first off i want to thank this forum and all the people on it for the help its provided me so far. I know this is my first post but Ive read through and found fixes for myself in the last 2 weeks without even posting just by using search and Google.

anyway my 4.6 had a top hat sleeve and rebuild done and i finally got around to put it in. im almost done but last issue left is an oil leak from the oil pan but not on the outer edges, its towards the back near the bellhousing area its slowly dripping out of what looks like 2 bolt holes that are recessed all the way up to the block. about 8 inches up actually. there are 2 bolts in 2 deep holes on the sump area of the pan. it was late at night by the time i finished so i called it a night and gave up today, will investigate further tomorrow.

has anyone seen this? or have an idea on what my fix is?
thanks a bunch
Jack

Old 05-25-2012, 11:44 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you place RTV on the rear Bering cap seams?

Old 05-26-2012, 09:02 AM
Rock Crawling

Mine was also leaking from one of those holes and the bolt was very loose, I just tightened it and the leak stopped. So they are not just "like bolt holes" the actually are bolt holes

Old 05-26-2012, 10:43 AM
Drifting

dont know disco,

all that stuff was closed up when i got the block back. from intake to oil pan was done.
does it need it there?
thx

Old 05-26-2012, 12:22 PM
Drifting

Just found another small leak out of oil filter housing. I put a new o ring in there and tightened it, so i dont know why that would be leaking. Has anyone used gasket maker there? Did i need to? I just put a little oil on o ring and installed. It doesnt go any tighter, looks like o ring was to thin? Housings are touching already.

Old 05-26-2012, 04:16 PM
Drifting
Default Update

ok here is an update, the 2 bolts seem to stop after tightening some more like hhalimi said. but the one that i thought was the oil filter housing with the o ring is not. it looks like its coming from the oil pump pressure relief hole on the bottom. what would cause this and how do i fix it? do i take it back to my machinist? or can i fix it myself. its a steady run of oil pretty much. i took a picture of it.

anyway thanks a bunch guys.

Attached Thumbnails 2003 d2 fresh rebuild oil leak-oil-leak.jpg  
Old 05-28-2012, 04:29 PM
Drifting

I got a blow up diagram from another post for the timing cover leak. But in the blow up it shows a snap ring not a freeze plug. Now i just realized i got a snap ring on top hole and a freeze plug on bottom hole? Can anyone check to see if this is correct please. I cant tell looking at diagram. My leak is from bottom hole.
Thx

Old 05-28-2012, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

See this extra page from the overhaul manual section on 4.0 and 4.6 liter engines. It seems to indicate that not all engines would be fitted with the oil pressure relief valve, which would explain the plug.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
oil press.pdf (312.3 KB, 85 views)
Old 05-28-2012, 08:03 PM
Drifting

So how do i fix this thing? My machinest said he can make me a plug, as far as new front cover is not in my budget right now. Used one on ebay is listed at $650.
What would you guys do to seal this thing?
By the way thanks buzz.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Look like this, only cleaner? Seems like lower one is like a freeze plug, and upper has that snap ring. After getting old plug out - be sure they wipe a magnet around inside. The cold oil will hold any metal shavings close by. Front cover is aluminum but plug won't be.

Sure it is not coming from oil pressure switch just up the road? If the plug is leaking, can it be knocked in a little further (use correct size socket to fit, not a screw driver)?

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 oil sw.pdf (426.2 KB, 77 views)

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 05-28-2012 at 08:16 PM.

Quick Reply: 2003 d2 fresh rebuild oil leak