Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Disco ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 10:18 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When the belt is bad, it squeals, doesn't tick. Maybe if it is put on wrong it ticks, but never heard one ticked.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:50 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

And just because you have a new engine does not mean they installed a new belt.
To save $$$ they reuse as many of the old parts as possible.
To replace the engine and everything else would set you back $8000.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:29 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Small Block

Originally Posted by RoverLover21
Doesn't the serpentine belt make more of a tick than a squeal when replacement is needed? Perhaps it should be noted that my rover has a new short block installed 15K ago due to it falling in the bad VIN range.
What actually happened to the original engine and who paid for the replacement?

Old 11-09-2009, 08:50 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by RoverLover21
Let me try and throw a few questions all into one post:

1.) My Disco has a high-pitched squeal when driving, but goes away every time I hit the gas. When I take my foot off of the gas, the squeal comes back. Very loud. Can hear inside and outside of the truck. Any ideas? It is also there when the truck is in park, as well.

2.) Looking to get a spare tire cover. Any suggestions (pros and cons) between the soft and hard cover? Cheapest place to get one? Which one do YOU like the looks of better? I found soft covers at roversnorth for $69.50. I have a 4 bike Thule rack in the hitch, will that still work even if I get a hard cover?

3.) I would like to purchase a dog guard for the back (the one that can be installed/uninstalled without tools, about $80 at roversnorth). Is is still possible to use the cargo cover with the guard installed?

4.) Where is the 60K mile tuneup at?!!??!! I can't find it on the board any longer!!

Thanks for any input.
Looks like the other questions have been answered, so I have a couple for you. Have you replaced your front drive shaft, for lack of 3 grease fittings, yet?
Have you spoken to your Rover service dept. to find out if your vin is on Rovers list for possible engine/oil pump failures? If not I would do that today.
As for the 60K, my list is still on the top of the Discovery section, Josh just consolidated them into one line. If you have any questions, shout.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:46 AM
Drifting

The engine replacement was done at a cost of $8000 and was performed and paid for by Land Rover because of the bad VIN and subsequent engine/oil pump failure. You would think they would have changed the serpentine belt as well, no? I can get a new one and replace it for about $40. Does the serpentine belt seem like the culprit here?

Old 11-09-2009, 11:03 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

yes. and also do the 60k service that mike refers too

Old 11-09-2009, 11:40 AM
Drifting

I will change to serpentine belt this week. Thanks for the input.

So is it a unanimous "NO" on the hard spare tire cover? haha

Anybody have any waterproof front seat covers for a DII they are looking to part with? Having a hard time finding them through roversnorth and AB. Seems they have been discontinued in favor of producing more for Toyota.

Old 11-24-2009, 01:40 PM
Drifting

I changed out the serpentine belt and NOTHING. The high-pitched whine is still there. It is only present when I am not applying pressure to the gas pedal. Extremely loud outside of the truck. Can also be heard inside of the truck. Any other suggestions!??!!? This needs to get fixed ASAP.

Old 11-24-2009, 02:26 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

did you do the 60k service? including the induction cleaning and throttle body cleaning.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:14 PM
Rock Crawling

Spike the DII soft cover does not have to be removed for carwashes, in fact, if it's like mine, you can't just take off the cover, you have to unbolt the spare to take off the cover. I run mine through the carwash all the time with no problem.

Quick Reply: 2003 Disco ?'s