Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 S - Low speed pulsating

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 10:25 AM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 S - Low speed pulsating

Hi all,

First off - fantastic forum. I have been reading for the last six months or so (had some issues setting up an account...apparently i'm not that IT savvy...).

Hoping for some help: I have a 2003 Disco with 148,000 km on it (I'm based in Canada, eh). The truck gets regularly serviced and I don't have any idiot lights on.

The issue: when I'm driving around town, cruising at say 1500 rpm, there appears to be a slight pulsating - almost like something is binding and then letting go. There is no fluctuation in rpms when this happens so it doesn't appear to be fuel / spark related. I also get the same thing happening if i'm coasting downhill at higher speeds. I thought it may have been a bad rotoflex, but there are no cracks evident. I recently changed the t-fluid to see if that would help, but no difference. I have also just changed the air filter and spark plugs on the off chance, again but no difference.

Any help / thoughts would be great.

Cheers

Old 07-22-2011, 10:37 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

So about 92000 miles? has the drive shaft and ujoint been serviced

Old 07-22-2011, 10:38 AM
7th Gear

Oh, and additional info:
- No problems starting up hot or cold
- No hesitation when accelerating
- Gear change is smooth
- Gas mileage doesn't appear better / worse than over the last three years or so
- I changed the discs and pads about a month ago and didn't notice any caliper binding (the pulsating was happening before I changed the discs and pads too)

Cheers

Old 07-22-2011, 10:42 AM
7th Gear

The servicable u-joints and shafts have been regularly greased at each oil change, but I still have the sealed u-joints on the front shaft: I put a call into a driveline place locally yesterday for a quote on a re-build and installation of greasable u-joints.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:53 PM
Winching

front drive shaft would be my guess. esp if you feel it binding under there.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:32 AM
Winching
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

if you think that there is an issue with your front drive shaft you need to STOP DRIVING NOW! wait until you get a new shaft put in.. if it goes you run the risk of loosing the transmission as well. treat this with the utmost of importance.
Let us know after you replace to see if that helps you with your problem.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:37 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

You can have a bent wheel, failed tire(belt shift), bad flange on t/case, failing Rotoflex.

Old 07-23-2011, 11:35 AM
7th Gear

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm going to pull the shaft today and will get it re-built this week. I will keep you posted.

The odd thing about this pulsating is that it isn't consistent with speed - it's not like you feel it at 30mph and it get's worse as you speed up. When the rpms are over 1750, there is no pulsating. It onlly happens at ~1500rpm and when free-wheeling down hill (in gear, but foot off the accelerator). There are no bumps, whines, clunks or other concerning noises...

Cheers

Old 07-24-2011, 09:38 AM
Mudding

Fellow canuck here EH! haha. Just wondering how much did the shop quote u at rebuilding your driveshaft?

Old 07-27-2011, 11:43 PM
7th Gear

Hey,
Sorry for the non-response - just got back from a fishing trip. The first quote was stupid money: would have been cheaper to buy new. There are two other shops in town so I will give them a call tomorrow and will let you know what I hear. Need to get the truck back on the road for a camping trip in about three weeks so the sooner I get this sorted, the better.

I've also ordered a new rotoflex - figure may as well get it over and done with. I'll only likely be replacing it within the year anyway...

Cheers

Quick Reply: 2003 S - Low speed pulsating