Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 DII purchase with a couple of problems?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 01:55 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The color is very light pink with a somewhat typical coolant viscosity, slippery to touch. Is that the correct color for OEM coolant?

Thanks,

Mike

Old 12-28-2012, 02:38 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes mike that's dex we recommend that when taking ownership you drain and flush out the pink and change over to the green coolant its less corrosive and easier to maintain. I would not pay more than 3k for it and then you know your doing the gaskets and its all good but you can use this information for negotiations and maybe work down the price do the and replace the cooling system and be happy.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:00 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Exhaust leak - is probably not the exhaust manifold.
This is probably the head gasket is gone and you are getting exhaust out from between the head and the block.

IF this is the case, you need to NOT drive it.
As that gas leaking out is CUTTING a GROOVE in your block.

The groove in the block is not easily repaired.

A groove in a head - no problem - just get a new head.

But, you need to not drive it and get that fixed asap.

Old 12-29-2012, 01:21 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default She's headed back to the dealer!

Since I got the car, I had noticed that the hood, although in perfect condition, did not close properly. After further analysis I was able to determine that the hood was removed and it looks like the engine has been out of the truck. No clues as to if this was the original engine that was repaired or an engine of unknown age/mileage. It makes sense now that they most likely tried to reuse the exhaust flange gasket which failed rather quickly.

After running the engine last night, no water leaks and fluid level stayed the same. My quess is that there was plenty of air in the system and that did nothing but cause problems. Not my problem going forward!

Since I purchased the car off of a wholesale lot, there was no shady dealer ship involved, it is buy at your own risk.

Beautiful truck, mint in all ways but the engine.

I think I might invest some time and money into the 2002 and keep that one for a while. I will review the check list and see what I need to do to help make it last!

Thanks for everyones help and guidance!

I will keep my eyes open for another LR, there are plenty on the wholesale lots!

Thanks,

Mike