Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Disco engine rebuild.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 11:59 PM
Mudding
Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 2004 Disco engine rebuild.

Unfortunatly I have been out of the Disco world for a little while. My wife was driving my 04 to work and blew a coolant line and it got hot. Didn't worp the heads or cause a gasket leak but caused my random low oil pressure at idle to get worse. I decided to park it until I could tear into it and almost two years later I have finally got around to it.

First thing i found when I got into the motor was a
spun #4 camshaft bearing. That explains the low oil pressure at idle... I posted a picture of the bearing where my lifter was rubbing it for who knows how long. Besides the spun bearing I didn't find anything noticeable on my tear down.

I did buy a doner car in the two years I was waiting to do this build because it had a lower mile motor and heads that had never been planed( my heads were at the threshold for planing and could not be decked again)

Block, heads, pistons, camshaft, rockers where taken to the machine shop to get cleaned and tested. Doner heads were straight so just did a valve job with new seats and new springs.
Block was cleaned and pressure tested, cylinders were honed. New cam bearings were installed and tested with new camshaft. GTG.
Pistons were cleaned and checked.
Crank was polished.

Got everything home and started install.
Crank in.
Cam in.
Installed new Main and rod bearings.
Piston rings installed and pistons in.
Timing complete, new cover and seal installed. Ran out of time for the day.
Any thoughts or concerns yet? I would post more but my phone is not letting me even see what I am typing.
I will update in a week or so when I finish

Last edited by 00&04 Disco; 07-17-2017 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Didn't finish
The following users liked this post:
No Doubt (07-17-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 12:19 AM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

WOW thats great. I just hope I could do something extensive like that. good luck. Cheers

Old 07-17-2017, 10:30 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Looks really great. Would like to see the upgraded front cam bearing with the oil cuts for improved lubrication on the bumpstick, though.

Old 07-17-2017, 12:06 PM
Mudding

[QUOTE=Fast951;612761]Looks really great. Would like to see the upgraded front cam bearing with the oil cuts for improved lubrication on the bumpstick, though.

I would like to see it also but I purchased one set and they sent me unpolished cam bearings then ordered another set which are supposed to be OEM polished bearings and had them sent to the machine shop. Didn't even see them until they were installed...Disappointed when I went to pick it up and the upgraded bearing was not in the block. I contacted the company and they said they were OEM bearings but they were actually Federal Mogul Buick bearings which are exact fit since it is a Buick block minus the front bearing. I am not going to worry about it though because they everything will be new and those cuts do not do much if anything in my opinion.

Old 07-17-2017, 03:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Looks good so far, glad to see someone doing a garage build rather than a crate engine.

BTW, how did you know about your low oil pressure? Did you use a gauge or did you attribute it to a "rover knock" ?

Old 07-17-2017, 05:16 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by KingKoopa
Looks good so far, glad to see someone doing a garage build rather than a crate engine.

BTW, how did you know about your low oil pressure? Did you use a gauge or did you attribute it to a "rover knock" ?
suprisingly my disco never knocked. It was quiet dispite the low oil pressure. I had a oil pressure gauge hooked up on my a-pilar with temp and volts so I never relied on the idiot light in the dash.

Old 07-17-2017, 05:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

Nice!

Old 07-17-2017, 08:05 PM
Winching
Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

Did you do anything with the liners? Just wondering if you looked into top hats and if they are worth it.

Old 07-18-2017, 04:47 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by humroot
Did you do anything with the liners? Just wondering if you looked into top hats and if they are worth it.
I didn't consider resleeving my block because it has 142k miles on it and it has been "warm" a few times and all my sleeves are seated perfect. If it was going to happen, it would have happened. I am about $2k into this build and I felt it would have been a waste of money. If your motor has a slipper liner then I would top hat but not just preventative maintenance for a perfectly good block.

Old 07-18-2017, 04:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

wow, i cant believe that lifter never made noise

Quick Reply: 2004 Disco engine rebuild.