Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Disco Head Gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 08:49 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Disco Head Gaskets

Hi everyone. New to the board...owner of a 2004 Disco that I bought new from the dealer. Its a trail edition, Alston Red and has 71,000 miles. She's been serviced regularly at the dealer every 6 months. But as with any older vehicle she's started to have some issues.

The major one was a few weeks ago when I noticed she was leaking coolant and running hot. I drove about 1/2 mile with the high temp light on. There was a little smoke from under the hood. Towed her to the dealer and they replaced the water pump. After I got her back had bubbling/gurgling on passenger side and took her back. They flushed it and said they found small bits of metal but and said they only option was to replace the radiator (7 hours labor). Told me they wouldn't recommend doing it and that the car was driveable and to keep an eye on it and that it could work itself out. Really?

I went for a second opinion at an independent mechanic that specializes in Land Rovers. In addition to the gurgling...I had smelled burning oil. The mechanic popped the hood and right at the valve gasket there was oil. They did a pressure test and told me they recommended replacing the head gaskets. Cost is around $2700-$3000. They replace everything except the rear main seal (does that sound right). Would the little metal parts in the coolant be something to be worried about? Engine corrosion? Ugh!

Does this sound reasonable? It seems like this is pretty standard issue. I know there's maintenance with Land Rovers and I am really attached to my truck. But questioning if I spend the $$ would I realistically get another 70,000 miles out of her with the right maintenance? Anything else I should look out for?

I just found this forum so I have alot of reading to do. Thanks for any words of wisdom.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:09 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

7 hours to replace the radiator??? Where they going to take a 6 hour nap in between? Thats crazy. Sounds like the independent mech. is the way to go compared to the dealer but pricey.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm assuming an metal bits in the coolant could have been from the water pump. Look in the overflow tank when cool and see if you see anything. The radiator would not have issues or put off metal bits, and corrosion is not likely.
The price for the gaskets sounds a tad steep to me, but maybe they are doing other things too like wires. Does it include the radiator?
And yes...with fresh gaskets and otherwise solid maintence I think another 70k is easy to do. For a couple hundred bucks I would have them rebuild the front prop shaft and do a good trans flush too. My 00 has 140k on it.

Old 03-30-2013, 03:58 PM
4th Gear

Thanks for the comments.

Me 2..Sorry...I meant to say heating core..they thought it was some bits in the heating coil that would work itself out.

Snafu/Disco Fries...i didn't see any metal bits in the coolant tank. I definitely ask more questions on Monday and I'll ask about re-building the front prop shaft..good point. The more I read here..the more I learn!!

Old 03-30-2013, 04:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Sounds like they did not properly bleed the system the first time when you heard the gurgling sound. Oil on the valve cover is most likely do to loose valve cover bolts. They should be tightened every oil change. I think both are not being totally honest with you. I would take it back to the dealer and ask them if they think the head gaskets are blown and to test for it.

Last edited by ralphobell; 03-30-2013 at 04:52 PM. Reason: not
Old 03-30-2013, 09:30 PM
Mudding

The metal bits are from the water pump impeller impacting the timing cover. The water pump shaft bearing is failing.

Old 03-30-2013, 10:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Likes on 81 Posts

And as it fails, it wobbles, you can see the pulley not running "true". The space inside is very tight, and the wobble makes the impeller "eat aluminum".

Attached Thumbnails 2004 Disco Head Gaskets-p1030593.jpg   2004 Disco Head Gaskets-p1030596.jpg  
Old 03-31-2013, 12:19 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoLady
Thanks for the comments.

Me 2..Sorry...I meant to say heating core..they thought it was some bits in the heating coil that would work itself out.

Snafu/Disco Fries...i didn't see any metal bits in the coolant tank. I definitely ask more questions on Monday and I'll ask about re-building the front prop shaft..good point. The more I read here..the more I learn!!
Makes more sense. I really don't think your heater core has issues, unless you smell coolant inside the car or have dripping. Likely it was just not bleed correctly. Does your heat work normal?
For sure see what else they say on Monday.

Old 03-31-2013, 03:21 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

You can't ever let the hot high temp light come on.
That ruins the head gaskets usually.

Ah, but, that's how it goes.

Yeah, $3,000 is on the high side.
An independent shop in Boulder CO would charge about $2,000 for head gaskets.

7 hours for the radiator is severe.
It is at most a 2 hour job.
I could do it in an hour now.
It took me 7 hours when I was completely new and ignorant.

I did a radiator on my 2001.
2004 may be different - but I doubt it.

All of these Land Rover Discovery need head gaskets at about 90,000 miles
period.

Bad engine design in my book.

But, these are top notch, classy and fun to drive.
As long as you can afford the gas.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:27 AM
Overlanding
Default Independent Rover Guy

Hi -

Who's your independent Rover guy outside of Boston? I'm on the Cape with a Disco II.

Thanks

Quick Reply: 2004 Disco Head Gaskets