Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Disco II Blown Engine 70K miles

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 08:57 AM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: 2004 Disco II Blown Engine 70K miles

ORIGINAL: rczar

We are the original owners and bought in new in San Antonio in Dec. of 03. We have done all scheduled maitenances and changed oil every 3K miles. We really took care of it because I knew that when the time came for a new car, she would want it and I would eventually use the Disco. We have had to replace all the hoses for the radiator because it was over heating, new spark plugs and wires, a sensor because the sport and I think the traction light would blink and would the vehicle would stay in low gear.
Sounds very unusual; it's possible some kind of damage occured when it was overheating but I don't see how that would cause a major part like a rod to fail and not just the whole engine fail. Perhaps a cylinder wall was compromised if it did a major overheat.

I guess you have some tough choices to make. Is the mechanic someone you trust? Have they given you an estimate? There isn't much you can do with it other then fix it or part it out to recoup some of your losses. A short block from Land Rover runs about $4000 and then there is the labor for installing it, probably about $2500 at the best.While costly, you would haveessentially a new car. There are also used engines on the market and that might be an option. If the broken rod has damaged the block it's doubtful you can rebuild the existing engine so you may never know what caused the rod to break, not that this means much now.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:23 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for responding.

(IN response to grussell) The ck oil light had never turned on until this day and my next oil change was to be done in 800 miles or so.

(In Response to crisinhouston) I know it is going to cost me a lot and he told me he could find me a rebuilt engine. I don't know how much it is going to cost yet. HOw long should I expect for it to take to fix it. I really like my disco and would like to keep it for many years to come but I am not toknowledgeable when it comes to mechanical work. This is why I enjoy coming on hear and reading what you guys have to say. Now, after I taken care of this major problem with the engine what else should I be expecting to happen. What other issues have you experienced or may be aware of.Do you know of any mods that I can do to my disco. Right now it is all original.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:33 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know it is going to cost me a lot and he told me he could find me a rebuilt engine. I don't know how much it is going to cost yet. HOw long should I expect for it to take to fix it. I really like my disco and would like to keep it for many years to come but I am not toknowledgeable when it comes to mechanical work. This is why I enjoy coming on hear and reading what you guys have to say. Now, after I taken care of this major problem with the engine what else should I be expecting to happen. What other issues have you experienced or may be aware of.Do you know of any mods that I can do to my disco. Right now it is all original.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:36 AM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I am assuming by all original you mean that the u-joint in your front driveshaft have not been replaced with greaseable joints. That is something that you really need to do asap to prevent it from failing and destroying your transmission if you haven't already had it done.

What are you using your Disco for? There are all kinds of mods you can do to a Disco but if all you do is drive it around town and on road how many mods do you really need. Let us know what you do or plan do with the Disco and we can point you in the right direction for mods.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:38 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

ORIGINAL: rczar

Guys this is my first time joining a forum group, and I have a 2004 Disco II with 70K miles. My wife drove drove the vehicle up to about a year ago, never offroad, did scheduled maintances and changed oil every 3K miles or so. I have nothing but problems since I took over the vehicle and recently my engine went out. I need HELP. Is this normal?
PM me your tele number so we can talk about your options.
Mike

Old 01-07-2009, 11:04 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Weren't there a handful of 04's with the failing oil pump issue?

Old 01-07-2009, 06:51 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Sounds like he spun a bearing.
NEVER EVER drive with the oil light on, EVER! If you are trying to out run a huge lava flow then fine, otherwise NEVER.
Your oil pump may have went out.
What grade of gas have you been using?

Old 01-07-2009, 07:07 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

dude, as soon as the oil light goes on, and you know you've been changing your oil, you would literally pull over within 30 seconds, turn the car off, and call a tow truck. the clanking could be your motor being starved of oil. did you use Premium gas?