Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Disco To Part or Not to Part out?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010 | 09:07 AM
Camel Trophy

What do you want for it?

You might be able to get $500 to $800 for a good block. There are still people with 2003's that might want it. You can get the crank checked by a machine shop. You can get an engine stand cheap, and no matter how much of a mechanic you are, you can build an engine if you have the space and time. Plenty of videos on youtube.. Just whatever your interests are.

I would hate for you to part out the 04. Makes me sad. I understand, though. $$ is $$...

Old 03-30-2010 | 10:34 PM
|
Recovery Vehicle
Default The block / Going to try and sell the full truck

Originally Posted by okdiscoguy
What do you want for it?

You might be able to get $500 to $800 for a good block. There are still people with 2003's that might want it. You can get the crank checked by a machine shop. You can get an engine stand cheap, and no matter how much of a mechanic you are, you can build an engine if you have the space and time. Plenty of videos on youtube.. Just whatever your interests are.

I would hate for you to part out the 04. Makes me sad. I understand, though. $$ is $$...
Hi Okdiscoguy,
I have decided to only part out the 4.6 engine. I may keep some of the most important parts for myself since I have the matching engine on my 2003. I think I will still make money parting the engine and the whole truck.
Its just too nice to pillage into pieces.

Can I take the crankshaft only to the machine shop? Will they put it on a lathe type machine to check for run out? Other than visually inspecting each piston rod for damage & cracks is there any other way I can tell if they are in good condition? When I get to selling the block, I will probably include the 7 good pistons with it. When you say "connecting rods" are those the same as Piston rods?
I am asking $4500 for the full truck
Dave

Old 03-31-2010 | 09:06 AM

Man its weird reading this...I too am from around the Indy area and also just bought the same color '04 in Atlanta, GA back in October....*twilight zone music*

Old 03-31-2010 | 09:17 AM
Camel Trophy

wow, that's too rich for my blood. There is a perfect 03 here with a blown motor for $5K. I have a standing offer of $2500 for when he decides he just wants to get rid of it... That is a little high for a salvage with no tranny or x-fer case. But, just my opinion...

The rods are one in the same, and yes, you should be able to have the crank checked by a machine shop. I would suggest an engine shop, unless you know of a sharp machine shop. Also, the liners have a tendancy to slip when the truck has been overheated. You had better make sure that it is ok before selling it as a good block. You could be out some serious shipping charges. It sounds like someone drove it into a lake and sucked in water. Just trying to start it with water in it won't bed a rod like that, it has to be running. I would have the block inspected or list it seriously as-is..

Old 03-31-2010 | 02:54 PM
|
Recovery Vehicle

Thats crazy iplayblues4u@comcast.net Maybe the Gray 04's are cursed with bad luck.
Yeah I trailer-ed it home on a U-haul car dolly. It towed great @ 70mph. The mountains in TN were a little exciting. Now I feel for guys towing trailers and motor homes. First time I towed anything with the Discovery. I worked that 6000lbs ball on my hitch. Told U-Haul I was hauling a Jeep liberty cause the Rover was way to heavy for their car dolly specs. I figured these are way over built & there was not an engine/trans/transfer case in it. I got some crazy looks from people in and around Atlanta. I always had "ROVER LAND" in my rear veiw mirror all the the way home. My girlfriend thinks I'm crazy but I know I will come out ahead if I bide my time. Especially parting the engine on here and eBay.

Last edited by bosshogt; 03-31-2010 at 02:57 PM.