Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 DIsco SE Fuel Gauge Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 09:30 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
Screw the Scan Gauge, get one of these.
https://landroverforums.com/forum/ro...a-gauge-44097/
No the fuel pump problem will not cause 12mpg.
Well with a 25gal gas tank, and 12mpg, you are still able to go 300 miles.
Yes it is that simple to replace the fuel pump.
Alright and what of the oil? I've already decided to switch to rotella diesel oil (when i get back home and thereafter) but should I switch to diesel right before a long haul across country?

Does the ultra gauge tell you how many miles until your tank hits empty though?

Old 10-05-2011, 07:16 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

to get back to the salvage title , "depending" upon where you live the insurance company will not pay off on a total loss a second time. A lot of people do not know that until they try to file a claim and it is rejected, because the vehicle has already be decleared a total loss be the insurance industry they will not pay twice as far as they are concerned the vehicle should have been distroyed. Having been an insurance appraiser here in Ma. for a short time I ran into this twice, A repairable and salavge title are two completely different beasts, hopefully you state is diferent,

Old 10-05-2011, 12:39 PM
Mudding
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
Alright and what of the oil? I've already decided to switch to rotella diesel oil (when i get back home and thereafter) but should I switch to diesel right before a long haul across country?

I do not think it will really matter if you switch oil before or after, as long as there is ample quality oil in it!

The ultra gauge will tell you how many miles until empty - you can program 3 screens with up to 6 gauges per screen if you want all that info. I pretty much just use one screen with 6 main gauges myself.

One note, for whatever reason, I have found that setting the tank size to 22.5 gallons yields the low level light right around 3.75 gallons, which is when it is supposed to come on. The tank is supposedly 24.6 gallons per the 2004 brochure (and I think Rave says it is 25 gallons). I have not figure out why the readings do not jive yet, but I think it may be due to the speed sensor. The ultraguage may say 62 and the speedometer will read 66 and a GPS will read 64 all at the same time, so somehow the sensor is off and I am running stock sized tires......

Old 10-05-2011, 07:25 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by drowssap
to get back to the salvage title , "depending" upon where you live the insurance company will not pay off on a total loss a second time. A lot of people do not know that until they try to file a claim and it is rejected, because the vehicle has already be decleared a total loss be the insurance industry they will not pay twice as far as they are concerned the vehicle should have been distroyed. Having been an insurance appraiser here in Ma. for a short time I ran into this twice, A repairable and salavge title are two completely different beasts, hopefully you state is diferent,

Again thanks for all the useful input. Now here's how everything will work with my preferred auto insurance company - Progressive. In the event of a claim a Progressive rep will inspect and analyze the 04 Discovery for damages and needed repairs etc. Next Progressive will research the general value using KBB and other auto value resources etc. Having all the information together Progressive will determine the actual value of the 04 taking into account the decrease in value as a result of a previous total loss/salvage rebuild title - based off this new estimate will determine how much Progressive will pay for damages and repairs to the 2004 Discovery. I spoke with a Progressive rep over the phone and gave him all the carfax information, VIN number etc and he assured me that the vehicle is still eligible for insurance etc. So long as I dont total the rig everything should be fine. Its a good deal under the circumstances. Risky and a little bit shaky but then again owning and Landy can be a risky decision taking into account frequent neglect issues and pricey parts - but that's a risk we all take here

Old 10-05-2011, 07:29 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by catman
I do not think it will really matter if you switch oil before or after, as long as there is ample quality oil in it!

The ultra gauge will tell you how many miles until empty - you can program 3 screens with up to 6 gauges per screen if you want all that info. I pretty much just use one screen with 6 main gauges myself.

One note, for whatever reason, I have found that setting the tank size to 22.5 gallons yields the low level light right around 3.75 gallons, which is when it is supposed to come on. The tank is supposedly 24.6 gallons per the 2004 brochure (and I think Rave says it is 25 gallons). I have not figure out why the readings do not jive yet, but I think it may be due to the speed sensor. The ultraguage may say 62 and the speedometer will read 66 and a GPS will read 64 all at the same time, so somehow the sensor is off and I am running stock sized tires......

It's around a 3000 mile trip back home some spending an additional $25 on new oil will not hurt anything under the circumstances. I dont want to take the chance of neglecting a precaution and regretting it later. Coudent be doing this at a worst time though seeing how the weather is dropping for the upcomming winter season. Someone on the forum said he gets less MPG in colder climates.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:34 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII

The newest version of the UltraGauge offers 8 pages of info, yes it will tell you miles until empty but I dont know how accurate it is.
As for the oil, take it to a quick lube, have them change the oil and put in diesel oil, then drive it home and change it again yourself this time again using diesel oil.
IF they dont carry diesel oil then use 10w-40.