Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Discovery II, what is it with the upper, center dash warping?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 05:20 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
Default 2004 Discovery II, what is it with the upper, center dash warping?

I had a 1991 Range Rover Classic, with the center of the plastic dash warped, no doubt from sitting in the heat of the sun for its life. Now, I have a 2004 Discovery II, with the same da... problem, but worse, dash is lifted upward in center, about one to two inches in front. What is it with those auto engineers, don't they ever learn from the past, or don't they care? I think that I read somewhere that Rover had this problem---really, no kidding, whatever gave them that idea? ANYWAY, SHORT OF TAKING IT ALL APART, AND INSTALLING A NEW DASH, HAS ANYONE COME UP WITH A SOLUTION TO THIS PROBLEM, A "FIX?" Seems to me that it will have to be held down fast in its original position, with some sort of super epoxy, or an aluminum, painted black, angle, for strength, screwed down in place, may work. Has anyone solved this problem, without taking the whole dash apart? How about a repair, after taking dash apart, or maybe the windshield out, to deal with it?

Old 04-28-2013, 07:37 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Nope, call Paul Grant and order a good guaranteed used replacement and save your self a lot of grief.

Old 05-17-2013, 03:25 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Fixed my warped dash; it cost me next to nothing; no grief!

"order a good guaranteed used replacement and save your self a lot of grief. "
-------------

I fixed mine, at little cost, and no grief at all--it looks perfect and new now! While sitting in Rover one day, I thought over the problem, trying to conceive ways to solve the problem, and came to a solution that I thought would work, which I believe works for most problems, if you think the problem through, and try to come to some solutions, you generally will solve that problem, at least that has been my experience to date. Anyway, here is how I repaired the warped dash: I have and use quite a lot of a special epoxy, a firearms specification epoxy, meaning that it was designed to repair broken and cracked gun stocks, and is able to withstand tremendous rifle recoil without failing. Also, it is designed to bed rifle barrels for accuracy. It is called Acraglas; is sold by a gunsmith supply house, Brownell's. I have used this epoxy for numerous things, including many gun projects, and automotive projects, as well as a variety of household projects; it has never failed me, so I thought that this Acraglas would hold the warped dash down taught, permanently, IF I could only secure the warped dash portion down somehow, while waiting for the epoxy to cure, which takes overnight. I thought of a variety of ways to hold the dash down in place, but one method that seemed most promising to me was to cut a number of lengths of wood pieces, say pieces one inch square, and long enough to just fit between the upper area of windshield and headliner, down to the dash area needing to be held down taught, conforming to other non warped areas on dash. Those "sticks," needed to be custom cut to fit tightly down against a flat piece of wood board set on the top of dash, that pushed down hard against the warped area, forcing it down. After cutting the wood pieces, I tried them, and they worked beautifully, so I simply mixed up the two part epoxy, stirred it for the required 4 minutes, giving a long working time before this epoxy sets, and I placed the epoxy along the inner area beneath where the warped dash would go, and beneath the warped dash area. Once that was done, I installed my wood pegs to hold the warped dash down, and left it all overnight to cure. Next morning, "bingo," the dash was flat again, after I removed the sticks. It has been a week or more now, with hot sun heating up the dash, and it is still holding well; I am very confident that the epoxy will hold the dash together forever---this epoxy is that good! So, I didn't have to buy a replacement dash, or take mine all apart to install another one, or go through all that related grief!

Old 06-17-2016, 09:05 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

photos of repair and how it held up? i am reluctant to go this route but if it works and looks good i may try it. i fear that if i install another dash the same will happen.