Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 electrical issues…

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2022, 04:37 PM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2004 electrical issues…

Okay so we have a 2004 discovery that had been over heating and was wrongfully told it blew a head gasket.. (wife’s uncle who pretends to know when he doesn’t know ) anyways it sat with unknown leaking sunroofS .. (which this site helped me figure out and strip the headliner off and repair so thank you all there) for over a year with leaks. Had someone look at it .. revamped the battery and drove it to and on the freeway and it drove smooth No over heating ect. She’s got a few oil leaks being addressed but they don’t know what’s going on electrically. Rear blinkers don’t work stereo is dead ac don’t work and driver door locks and unlocks fine from the key fob dash unlock works for driver door and key hole works but all other doors including the trunk don’t work.. doesn’t seem probable ALL the doors motors went out same time.. shop is saying it’s probably the ECU but from what I’ve read that doesn’t seem like a likely event and more a way to shrug off the problem since they don’t think they can get a new ecu in. I’m not mechanical gifted I’m a carpenter so been spending all my time reading similar issues but still in the dark and thought I’d add TMI in hopes I can get some better insight answer questions and better pinpoint the issue (s)

Old 06-27-2022, 11:49 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 250 Likes on 202 Posts

have you looked at the fuses under the steering wheel?

that's where i would start. get out the owner's manual and look over the fuse layout.

when you say the AC doesn't work, do you mean it won't turn on or it won't blow cold air?

from one person in the Trades to another, if you can swing a hammer, you can work on these Rovers.

The following users liked this post:
Andy23 (06-28-2022)
Old 06-27-2022, 12:09 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by jastutte
have you looked at the fuses under the steering wheel?

that's where i would start. get out the owner's manual and look over the fuse layout.

when you say the AC doesn't work, do you mean it won't turn on or it won't blow cold air?

from one person in the Trades to another, if you can swing a hammer, you can work on these Rovers.
thanks for the reply.
I have went over all the fuses under the hood and under the steering wheel looking for a blown fuse with no luck. The ac blows (or rather central air blows atleast)but not cold.. the central air on lo setting (not sure if that typically sets the ac on or not in a 2004 rover) blows air that when driving eventually blows hot. And the stereo just doesn’t come on at all . But AC I can live without just thought maybe it all helps diagnose for those on here who have ran into similar issues . The back blinkers and at the least rear door lock and unlocked would atleast make the rover functional for use. All the doors (besides driver door) not locking or unlocking by fob or dash button just makes me think it’s all the same unknown problem.. all this talk on the rover sites about putting the key in second position for 5 mins to reset seems to go to be true but I never tried any of that

Old 06-28-2022, 09:52 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 366 Likes on 285 Posts

A quick tip in case you weren't aware. If you have ECON pressed on the HVAC you will not get cold air. More than once my heart sank because the cold air went away, until I realized that somehow I'd pressed ECON. It seems to remember that setting between restarts as well. Given all the other issues you list it's probably a long shot at best but I thought I'd mention it.

The following users liked this post:
Andy23 (06-28-2022)
Old 06-28-2022, 11:12 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by ahab
A quick tip in case you weren't aware. If you have ECON pressed on the HVAC you will not get cold air. More than once my heart sank because the cold air went away, until I realized that somehow I'd pressed ECON. It seems to remember that setting between restarts as well. Given all the other issues you list it's probably a long shot at best but I thought I'd mention it.
I never used the ac in the rover so not sure 🤔 I’ll have to check when I get it back .. but it LO (lowest cold setting) turns on the ac typically (I’m not sure but in my car it does) then in LO setting it blows hot as I drive so idk. Took it to a shop that’s known for working on rovers and they came up with allotttt of work they coulddd do but nothing has been tied to the electrics doors ac radio ect .. apparently they depended on a plug in hardware that the rover doesn’t speak too and that’s as far as they are willing to go. Thanks for the info though I can cross my finger for that one atleast

Old 06-29-2022, 10:19 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 267 Likes on 177 Posts

I would be willing to bet a lot of money the shop isn’t too far off base. If you have all these random electrical issues AND you had leaking sunroofs for a long period of time, I’d be willing to bet some water got in there and eventually evaporated and you have some corrosion on a bunch of connectors and possibly some fried controllers.

RE: AC, I’d read the owners manual (if you don’t have one, there are a slew on line you can review) to see how the HVAC system functions as it is a bit quirky in how things operate. That is, forget everything from you’ve come to expect from other vehicles as this system is not particularly intuitive.

Lastly, I’d d/l a copy of the RAVE manual and start studying up as I bet you are going to have a long journey in resolving a bunch of this stuff.

Old 06-30-2022, 11:29 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,135 Likes on 612 Posts

I would bet / estimate that there's a 75% chance it's the fuse box under the drivers lower dash panel or issues with connectors over on the passenger side by the BCU.

Re: fuse box, even if fuses aren't blown, if that thing gets any water in it -- which it usually does with leaking front sunroofs over time -- you get all sorts of weird electrical issues. In my case, I had HDC errors, erratic operation of HVAC and radio, door locks erratically working, and brake light / cruise control problems (which caused the HDC issue).

If you search back I'm sure you can find my pictures of a fuse box that -- on the exterior, looked fine, but when I removed it and opened it up, looked horribly corroded inside.

Easy way to tell. At the bottom of the fusebox (the lowest portion) there is a plastic seam. If you see *any* evidence of white corrosion, or what looks like water marks or stains from water seeping out of the fusebox, I'd say pull the fusebox, replace it. Since you have an 04, you'll need a fusebox from a 2003 or 2004 v8. (You can use any 99-02 v8 fusebox in any other 99-02, and then all of the v8 North America 03-04's are the same) Here are the part #'s. BTW I found a ton of these for sale on Ebay, the part #'s are incorrect or they have water damage so best to inspect it in person before buying it.

03/04 - this is what you want
YQE000251

99-02 - you will want to AVOID these part numbers for your truck
YQE103320 (oldest)
↳YQE103830
↳YQE000110
↳YQE000250
↳YQE000410 (newest)

Old 07-18-2022, 07:25 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by nashvegas
I would bet / estimate that there's a 75% chance it's the fuse box under the drivers lower dash panel or issues with connectors over on the passenger side by the BCU.

Re: fuse box, even if fuses aren't blown, if that thing gets any water in it -- which it usually does with leaking front sunroofs over time -- you get all sorts of weird electrical issues. In my case, I had HDC errors, erratic operation of HVAC and radio, door locks erratically working, and brake light / cruise control problems (which caused the HDC issue).

If you search back I'm sure you can find my pictures of a fuse box that -- on the exterior, looked fine, but when I removed it and opened it up, looked horribly corroded inside.

Easy way to tell. At the bottom of the fusebox (the lowest portion) there is a plastic seam. If you see *any* evidence of white corrosion, or what looks like water marks or stains from water seeping out of the fusebox, I'd say pull the fusebox, replace it. Since you have an 04, you'll need a fusebox from a 2003 or 2004 v8. (You can use any 99-02 v8 fusebox in any other 99-02, and then all of the v8 North America 03-04's are the same) Here are the part #'s. BTW I found a ton of these for sale on Ebay, the part #'s are incorrect or they have water damage so best to inspect it in person before buying it.

03/04 - this is what you want
YQE000251

99-02 - you will want to AVOID these part numbers for your truck
YQE103320 (oldest)
↳YQE103830
↳YQE000110
↳YQE000250
↳YQE000410 (newest)
how complicated was that to change out ? Would changing that that out mess with any of the controls or anything complicated? I’ll have to give it a better inspection and look for corrosion or water damage but did t want to mess with any heavy wiring.. could it just be cleaned out some how vs replacement ? My ac turned out to just be dry, got it refilled and it’s working fine.. I stripped the whole truck (headliner and carpet) and let it all dry out my blinkers were delayed and touchy and that seems to have resolved.. so it’s the radio (maybe water killed that actually radio) and the doors.. driver door works as it should key fob and door clock button but still no other door locks or unlocks drying out didn’t seem to help those two one bit