Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

22 mpg or bust.... and reliable. Engine swap discussion thread.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 10:12 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 943 Likes on 634 Posts

That is interesting. Definitely nice that there's already an adapter available. I'm still having trouble finding these boost engines for less than 4k, and the stand alone ECU is another 2k. Putting that at less likely to gain an estimated 3-5 mpg over a $400 LS engine.

In other related news, I unhooked the ECU and trans controller in my Disco today. I turned the key on.nof course there was the flashing m&s as well as ABS lit up, but the windows worked, wipers worked, all the lights worked, the air system worked, the radio acted normally, and there was no SRS light. Just leaving the BCU in place for the Rover stuff is looking promising. This really may become as simple as having a transmission adapter made and putting in custom gauges.

Old 10-08-2018, 05:15 PM
Camel Trophy

Alright boys, I've got another idea to throw at you all for an engine. My girlfriend has an ~02 VW Passat with a 1.8t (gas) engine. That's an engine with very similar power levels to the stock 4.6 V8, and you can double the boost to make more. Peak torque comes in around 1900 rpm from what I've been reading.

This car is otherwise retired. The body is rough, the interior is trashed, the transmission is on it's last leg, but the engine is supposed to be pretty good. I'll do a compression test, but I've worked on the car and it seems good from what I've seen.

These engines are fairly easily swapped from what little I've read. I'm not sure if any bellhousing adapters are available yet, but that can be machined out for a few hundred dollars.

I like that this engine is available now. I like the way the motor runs, I like the way is sounds, I like the power curve. Of course, it's in a car half the weight of my Disco, but it's an engine that's easy to hop up some.

Just looking for any insight anyone might have. I'm still doing research right now but this is the idea that I'm sorta stuck on right now. Lemme know what you all think.

Old 10-08-2018, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,209 Posts

It may work fine but for some reason this is where my mind goes...

Old 10-08-2018, 05:50 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
It may work fine but for some reason this is where my mind goes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dhO-BCPLjg
I had to watch the entire video and could not, despite best efforts, look away.

Alex, please do not lose steam. I have tried many of your mods and not been disappointed; first Chevy/Ford/Dodge solution I find goes into my Disco. A manual transmission would be amazing.

This is the ultimate mod.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 10-08-2018 at 05:55 PM.
Old 10-08-2018, 06:17 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 257 Likes on 214 Posts

I had 1.8t's for almost 11 years in the beginning part of the 00's -- both cars were Audi A4's. These motors are really good but it can take a lot to get really good solid power from them. The rods are generally the weak link, especially in the later years 02-04's but the earlier versions were better. Larger ported heads (AEB block) and better cranks from what i can remember. You can throw a big turbo at one of these engines and get decent power (200-350ish HP) but you'd be pushing the limits of the stock internals. Don't forget all the supporting mods such as FMIC, exhaust and tuning -- it adds up to be a mountain of cash before you know it.

I know that you do a lot a towing and this motor probably can't handle it to be honest. If i had $2-4K for an engine swap, i'd certainly go for an LS swap -- it would get me to where i'd want to be for (probably) less money and heaps more potential for power than the 1.8t any day.

With that all being said and as mentioned earlier -- these engines are sweet. I miss my old wagon now an then

Name:  HQeAK8X.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  45.8 KB

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Alright boys, I've got another idea to throw at you all for an engine. My girlfriend has an ~02 VW Passat with a 1.8t (gas) engine. That's an engine with very similar power levels to the stock 4.6 V8, and you can double the boost to make more. Peak torque comes in around 1900 rpm from what I've been reading.

This car is otherwise retired. The body is rough, the interior is trashed, the transmission is on it's last leg, but the engine is supposed to be pretty good. I'll do a compression test, but I've worked on the car and it seems good from what I've seen.

These engines are fairly easily swapped from what little I've read. I'm not sure if any bellhousing adapters are available yet, but that can be machined out for a few hundred dollars.

I like that this engine is available now. I like the way the motor runs, I like the way is sounds, I like the power curve. Of course, it's in a car half the weight of my Disco, but it's an engine that's easy to hop up some.

Just looking for any insight anyone might have. I'm still doing research right now but this is the idea that I'm sorta stuck on right now. Lemme know what you all think.

Old 10-08-2018, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Good looking wagon

Old 10-08-2018, 09:21 PM
Camel Trophy

That is a super sweet looking wagon. Love the Honda video, Army.

I'm not looking for buckets of power. I'd be happy with around the power level I had before. More would be nice of course, but that level would be fine. I'll be regearing either way. What I'm really looking for is reliability and better gas mileage. Future plans have been in flux the past couple months and I'm not sure if Cleveland is the path I'm gonna take, so vehicular needs are changing as well.

The Silverado is looking like it's going to remain my daily for the foreseeable future, and the Disco would be transferred to weekend toy and travel/camping/over landing vehicle. From the sounds of it, the only real issue would be the rods. If that's the case, at less than $500 for a set of forged rods, that could be a future upgrade item. Intercooler and exhaust I expected. Tuning shouldn't be too big a deal I don't think. I'm willing to bet (though correct me if I'm wrong) that there are companies I could ship the ECU to for flashing. I looked up the curb weights, too. Turns out the D2 is actually only about 1200-1500 lbs heavier than the Passat I'd be pulling the engine from. Not nearly as much difference as I'd figured. The 4.56 or so gears I plan to run should make up for that I'd say.

I really appreciate your insight, Saturnine. Definitely keep it coming.

Old 10-11-2018, 12:35 PM
Camel Trophy

Alright, been doing some research. I found a company that makes a bell housing to mate the 1.8t to a t5 transmission, which was my original trans choice when I was going to keep the Rover v8. It's not a try, but it's a really good manual trans that I've got a lot of miles behind. On top of that... It's a trans I have around. I've got an 01 mustang with a stretched rod (probably, haven't actually disassembled yet) that has a to in it. The trans is a little tired at 187k (hard) miles, but it still functions well if you're familiar with it. 2nd gear syncro is unhappy with it's position in the world, but hasn't totally quit yet.

So that's looking like a very possible route right now since I've got the engine and trans. Buy a bell housing, a set of forged rods, make/have made a custom tail housing to adapt to the lt230 transfer case. I'll have to work out all the clutch bits, probably find a pedal assembly from a D1, but this is looking possible.

Old 10-11-2018, 12:36 PM
Camel Trophy

Oh, here's the bellhousing.

https://www.rwdmotorsport.com/vw-audi-1-8-litre-to-borg-warner-t5-bellhousing.html

Old 10-11-2018, 12:40 PM
Camel Trophy

Scratch, I may have a t45. I'll have to check. Hoping for a t5.

Quick Reply: 22 mpg or bust.... and reliable. Engine swap discussion thread.