Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

22 mpg or bust.... and reliable. Engine swap discussion thread.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 11:24 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Well, I realize I am repeating old ideas, but the Mercedes OM617 is an incredible engine and would shift at the approximate RPMs as a rover gas engine... And can be cheaply upgraded/replaced/fixed.

I don't intend to distract you... Still on the edge of my chair for the solution.

​​​

Old 10-12-2018, 09:05 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

T45 transmissions can’t handle much abuse, especially if you’ve bent a shift fork. I went through 4 rebuilds and 1 replacement. I ended up selling my stand because of it.
The t5 was a much better trans in my opinion. Advance adapters makes t5 to transfercsse adapters.

Old 10-12-2018, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,485 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Some defender folks are tossing Chevy 292 straight 6 in them. Saw one at MAR last weekend seemed really good. Using Rover manual transmission behind it

Old 10-12-2018, 11:36 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 948 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
Well, I realize I am repeating old ideas, but the Mercedes OM617 is an incredible engine and would shift at the approximate RPMs as a rover gas engine... And can be cheaply upgraded/replaced/fixed.

I don't intend to distract you... Still on the edge of my chair for the solution.

​​​
I've considered a diesel swap, but even if I went that route I'd definitely like to lose the automatic trans. I was looking at 4bt Cummins engines before this Volkswagen engine became available.

What did those Merc engines come in? Don't see many Merca around here, and junk yards are unfortunately overpriced and slim pickings, even for domestic vehicles.

Old 10-12-2018, 11:41 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Fastercat
T45 transmissions can’t handle much abuse, especially if you’ve bent a shift fork. I went through 4 rebuilds and 1 replacement. I ended up selling my stand because of it.
The t5 was a much better trans in my opinion. Advance adapters makes t5 to transfercsse adapters.
Don't think I've got a bent shift fork; it's got a stretched connecting rod in the engine. I agree on the trans though. My research is telling me they put t5s behind the v6s and t45s behind the visit in the new edge body... That seems odd to me. Mine is a V8 car.

I couldn't use the t45 anyway. The bellhousing is integral to the case. I'm still gonna jack the car up and look to see if my research is wrong. Really hoping it's a t5.

I didn't know about that adapter. That's awesome news; this is looking easier by the minute. Heck, even if I had to buy a T5 they're not very expensive.

Old 10-12-2018, 11:43 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
Some defender folks are tossing Chevy 292 straight 6 in them. Saw one at MAR last weekend seemed really good. Using Rover manual transmission behind it
Now that is a cool idea. I bet those were sweet. All those old i6 engines bade enough bottom end to climb a tree. I'm trying to stay away from carbs, though, and don't wanna buy aftermarket FI. I don't wanna deal with the floats going crazy on hill climbs and the like.

Old 10-12-2018, 12:49 PM
Mudding
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

You really would be far better off parking it and driving something completely different. It makes no sense whatsoever to try to haul one person over long distances with heavy machinery that's old and was originally built with maddening daftness. Do yourself, your family, your finances, your friends and future family a favor and refocus on something meaningful.

Old 10-12-2018, 03:58 PM
Camel Trophy

Haha, a genuine thank you for your well meaning comment, Nathan. I looked at your history and see you're pretty new here. I make a pretty regular habit of beating my head against a wall/making a spectacle of myself here on the forum doing things no sane person would do.

While in practice I know you're right, I have a personality flaw that makes me be persue ideas for reasons nobody really fully understands. Might as well grab a beer and have a chuckle at my expense.

Jokes aside, the Rover is parked right now. I do have another truck I daily (07 Silverado) and intend to continue doing so.... At least until the Rover is done. There's no real timeline on this project, but expect continual if not sporatic updated on this hair brained project.

Old 10-12-2018, 05:17 PM
Mudding
Received 221 Likes on 80 Posts

Interesting idea with the VW 1.8. I think it may struggle a bit even with the power adders. It might also be a bit cost prohibitive.

Did you consider the GM Atlas engines? The 3.7 I5 and 4.2 I6 seem like they could be a good fit and get decent gas mileage. The 3.5/3.7 came with a manual option in the Chevy Colorado/Hummer H3. I don't know a lot about them, but I've heard of people swapping them before. The manuals are pretty cheap too.

With the Atlas engine, I'm confident that our LS electrical controller would likely work with a few changes to keep the gauges, ABS/TC/HDC, and everything else working. Probably could work too with the VW 1.8 with a bit more tinkering. Let me know if I can help.

Old 10-12-2018, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,485 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Now that is a cool idea. I bet those were sweet. All those old i6 engines bade enough bottom end to climb a tree. I'm trying to stay away from carbs, though, and don't wanna buy aftermarket FI. I don't wanna deal with the floats going crazy on hill climbs and the like.
The one I checked out was running a Holley sniper efi system.

Supposedly running low 20s mpg

Quick Reply: 22 mpg or bust.... and reliable. Engine swap discussion thread.