Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 Amigos Clearing and Texas State Inspection

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 12:53 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jared9220
How did they know that you reset your codes? Did you tell them or did they hookup a computer to your truck?
If you reset your codes, it puts certain EVAP systems (canister purge and 2nd Sys (secondary air, if equipped) the ODBII will ready "Not Ready". You are permitted to have only one system in "Not Ready" mode.... To get them into "Ready" mode, you must drive a drive cycle.

Old 04-03-2014, 03:20 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by primussucks
If you reset your codes, it puts certain EVAP systems (canister purge and 2nd Sys (secondary air, if equipped) the ODBII will ready "Not Ready". You are permitted to have only one system in "Not Ready" mode.... To get them into "Ready" mode, you must drive a drive cycle.
I understand that you are able to see if the EVAP system is active or not by hooking up to the OBDII. I was just unaware that Texas had started hooking up to the OBDII during inspections. I have had vehicles inspected in Bexar, Atascosa, and currently Wilson County and never once been hooked up to a computer or even had my gas cap tested. I just got my inspection done on the 3/31 and still no computer.

That would be nice, but it's not an option. You must have the car inspected in the county in which the car resides. The inspection stickers are different for emissions v. non-emissions counties.
I did not realize that Texas allowed each county to control State Inspection standards. Just curious, How would they know that you are just not driving in from another county other then pulling you over and running your plate? Are people from out of town only allowed to pass through town or can we drive our crappy car's around Austin and stop at a few places?

I have got my inspection done in different counties in Texas. What's stopping someone? What do Travis county inspection stickers look like? I could have sworn they all look the same. Here is my inspection sticker. No where does it says the county I live in.
3 Amigos Clearing and Texas State Inspection-100_2459.jpg

Last edited by Jared9220; 04-03-2014 at 03:42 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Inspection stickers do all look the same, however some county's are required by law to test for emissions. Travis, Bexar, Harris and I think Dallas all require emission testing and part of that test is running the OBD2 scan.

Old 04-03-2014, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Resetting ABS codes shouldn't do anything to the readiness for emissions, they are separate computers.

Old 04-03-2014, 03:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ralphobell
Inspection stickers do all look the same, however some county's are required by law to test for emissions. Travis, Bexar, Harris and I think Dallas all require emission testing and part of that test is running the OBD2 scan.
Never been hooked up to OBDII in Bexar County. Maybe if you are going to those inspection station only type places painted like the Texas flag, they might do everything by the book, but go to any local garage and they should be more forgiving. If San Antonio has emission standards and I have never noticed then Austin has to have places that will look the other way also.

Old 04-03-2014, 03:52 PM
Mudding
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

"Vehicles registered in designated counties. Designated counties include: Brazoria, Fort Bend, Galveston, Harris, Montgomery, Collin, Dallas, Denton, Ellis, Johnson, Kaufman, Parker, Rockwall, Tarrant, Travis, Williamson and El Paso counties."

Texas Department of Public Safety - Inspection Criteria for the Annual SAFETY Inspection

Old 04-03-2014, 03:56 PM
Mudding
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Also, I think that the stickers may be different colors (emissions county vs. non-emissions county). On the bright side, no emissions testing is required for any car 25 years old; so at least you have that to look forward to...

Old 04-03-2014, 05:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by briancbev
Also, I think that the stickers may be different colors (emissions county vs. non-emissions county). On the bright side, no emissions testing is required for any car 25 years old; so at least you have that to look forward to...
Where did you get that from?

Old 04-03-2014, 07:25 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

So, just to be clear, if you clear the ABS ONLY, then the OBDII will NOT be cleared also?

His OBDII was cleared initially due to an intermittent lean code, but evidently the ABS Code comes back before testing. So, he CAN clear the ABS without affecting the OBDII?

Old 04-03-2014, 08:46 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just read through this thread and I'm glad that arkansas doesn't have vehicle inspection this seems like a lot of trouble hope you figure it out!