Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 Amigos question

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 06:37 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 3 Amigos question

Hi there,

I have a 2003 Disco II w/ 140,000 miles. Today, on my way home, the ABS, HDC and TC came on. Not flashing. I guess this is what's called "3 amigos", right? Anyway, when I came home, I shut the engine off and after 1-2 min, restarted it. And the 3 amigos were gone! Are they really gone, or is this something that is going to cost couple of thousand dollars:-(((

Any input would be appreciated.

Bob

Old 08-29-2011, 06:55 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

Do a search on "three amigos" on this forum, as well as checking the stickies at the top of the D2 section relating to the Amigos.

Thant said, there are a few people here who rent their ABS scan tools to other members for a nominal fee. You can scan the codes, post what you find here, and we can help you with the repair process.

The Amigos are gone, but only temporarily. They will return with more and more frequency.

If you take it to the dealership for diagnosis and repair, it might cost you ~$1000. If you use the tools and members on this forum, maybe ~$100.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

It could just be a wheel sensor. Don't "over" repair just yet. Have you installed a lift recently?

Old 08-29-2011, 08:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

How good are your brakes? When I first fought mine I had the Amigos paying a daily visit until I replaced all the brakes, Pads and Rotors all the way around. A number of places sell a complete brake set and the prices are pretty reasonable. Check D.A.P. Enterprises LLC - Everything for your Land Rover or Land Rover Parts & Rover Accessories From Atlantic British | Discovery, Range Rover, LR3, LR2, Defender, Freelander and Land Rover Series Parts & Accessories both of these places offer full brake sets for fair prices. If you've got good brakes, quality brake pads, not pads from autozone or whatever, but decent pads, then you may be looking at repairs that need to be diagnosed with an ABS Amigo, or similar. Good Luck!

Old 08-30-2011, 05:59 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

it could be anyone one of a dozen things all of which you can replace and still not fix the problem, you need to have the ABS codes read and get back to the forum with the code numbers. This is an area that can get very costly if you just start guessing and replacing parts.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:30 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by lordmorpheus
The Amigos are gone, but only temporarily. They will return with more and more frequency.
/this. That is why they are nicknamed the "3 Amigos"
hehe

Old 08-30-2011, 10:25 AM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
it could be anyone one of a dozen things all of which you can replace and still not fix the problem, you need to have the ABS codes read and get back to the forum with the code numbers...
x2

Fixing random issues or replacing parts of your brake/ABS systems is a roll of the dice if you haven't had the codes read. Do that first and get back to us.

If you can't find anyone to either lend or rent you an ABS Amigo, you can always buy one here: http://www.rswsolutions.com/index.ph...d=56&Itemid=55.

The ABS Amigo's aren't cheap, but it's money well spent, and it will probably come in handy in the future...

Old 08-30-2011, 01:01 PM
2nd Gear

Sorry if this is redundant but I'm new...I recently had the 3 Amigos come on (2001 Disco 2 160,000kms) after a grinding noise that was very short lived...2 seconds at most. I now notice an occasional squeak (driver side front) I am taking the wheel off this weekend to clean everything up and am wondering if there is a quick way to see if the problem is a warn/loose hub? How much if any play/rotation should there be with the wheel off?? Any info would be most appreciated! Cheers!

Last edited by Seren; 08-30-2011 at 01:03 PM. Reason: accidental post
Old 08-31-2011, 09:47 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Seren,
I realize you are new, but what comes to mind when you hear a brake grinding noise????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????
How mechanical are you?
Have you pulled and inspected your brakes yet, if not, don't wait on someone hear to guess thru this, check it and get back to us.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:06 AM
2nd Gear

My brake pads and rotors look good, I cleaned them up...with all the talk about hubs failing I just wanted to know if there is a way to tell if the hub is failing,,,the grinding sound I heard sounded more like crushing a pop can...since then the squeak persists and I can wiggle the wheel from side to side when it is jacked up...the dealer here says it sounds like the hub and so I am taking it in...I was hoping to try and fix it myself but without being sure I'm not going to buy parts I may not need!

Quick Reply: 3 Amigos question