Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 Amigos question

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 09:15 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Patrick Duffy
The problem was diagnosed by the LR dealer as an Overlay Harness required. I have the correct part - basically a wheel sensor with a continuous cable running back to the ABS.

I am confused! The instructions I have tell me that I need to run the cable from the back wheel through and into the engine bay and follow the loom across the bulkhead. The plug on the ABS unit looks like the one in the photo that comes with the instructions.

I have come across another set of instructions which also look like an official LR document but it talks about running the cable to the SLABS which is under the drivers seat. The plug on this bears no resemblance to the one in any of the photos - can someone clarify please?
D2 2000 123,000 miles.

My real problem was one of my sensors. But I didnt trust their (dealer) input because as soon as I changed one, they charged me again to diagnose $135 - that the other was now failed. Coincidence or did they not even look at all the codes first time around. Its fixed now so no worries.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:01 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Patrick Duffy
The problem was diagnosed by the LR dealer as an Overlay Harness required. I have the correct part - basically a wheel sensor with a continuous cable running back to the ABS.

I am confused! The instructions I have tell me that I need to run the cable from the back wheel through and into the engine bay and follow the loom across the bulkhead. The plug on the ABS unit looks like the one in the photo that comes with the instructions.

I have come across another set of instructions which also look like an official LR document but it talks about running the cable to the SLABS which is under the drivers seat. The plug on this bears no resemblance to the one in any of the photos - can someone clarify please?
D2 2000 123,000 miles.
The SLABS ECU is under the right side of the dash not under the drivers seat (maybe the instructions are for the UK market?), you access it by dropping the glovebox (don't need to unbolt it, just open the box, disengage the stops on both sides so you can open the box further, then just let it hang down)

Old 02-25-2017, 03:02 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced all sensors

I have replaced both front hubs and the abs pump module on my disco 2 and then had to replace a few brake lines. In doing so rthe abs pump needed to be power blead and codes cleared at a dealership. They came back so I just now the rear sensors, since the hubs were good. The amigos are still on. I going to have to take it back to the dealer again???

Old 02-25-2017, 03:23 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
it could be anyone one of a dozen things all of which you can replace and still not fix the problem, you need to have the ABS codes read and get back to the forum with the code numbers. This is an area that can get very costly if you just start guessing and replacing parts.
X1 ......... amen, and still end up chasing your tail. It's all in the codes, codes, codes and more codes. A cheapo diagnostic kit won't identify exactly the problem(s) so you need ALL the codes professionally read and cleared firstly, then start over, if they re-appear they are the codes/problems to attack, codes DO NOT clear themselves even when the problem is fixed, someone has to clear them with a diagnostic reader.

A drowsapp states, it can be one of a dozen problems from battery charge, alternator, earth grounds, ABS Module, wheel sensors, wheel bearings, brakes etc, etc but unless you know exactly what and where it's a nightmare trying to guess. IMO unless you really know your way around D2's the best (and most expensive) place is a top quality indy LR garage or a main dealership (I can't believe I said the latter, I hate dealerships), don't take your LR into a 'do it all' garage and expect them to solve your problems, they can't or won't I'm afraid.

Old 02-25-2017, 05:06 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
X1 ......... amen, and still end up chasing your tail. It's all in the codes, codes, codes and more codes. A cheapo diagnostic kit won't identify exactly the problem(s) so you need ALL the codes professionally read and cleared firstly, then start over, if they re-appear they are the codes/problems to attack, codes DO NOT clear themselves even when the problem is fixed, someone has to clear them with a diagnostic reader.

A drowsapp states, it can be one of a dozen problems from battery charge, alternator, earth grounds, ABS Module, wheel sensors, wheel bearings, brakes etc, etc but unless you know exactly what and where it's a nightmare trying to guess. IMO unless you really know your way around D2's the best (and most expensive) place is a top quality indy LR garage or a main dealership (I can't believe I said the latter, I hate dealerships), don't take your LR into a 'do it all' garage and expect them to solve your problems, they can't or won't I'm afraid.
Did you look at the date of drowsapp's post??

08-30-2011, 03:59 AM

Old 02-26-2017, 03:37 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Friday Night Disco
Did you look at the date of drowsapp's post??

08-30-2011, 03:59 AM
Duh, nope, I don't dare, it's old ain't it

Still, the same criteria applies eh