Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 amigos, and SLABS ECU says I have a diesel with air suspension....NOT!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 10:06 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 amigos, and SLABS ECU says I have a diesel with air suspension....NOT!

Hi all.
First the specs: 2000 DII 4.0 with ACE and Coil springs. Bought from Dealer in 2007.

The amigos started to come on a month or so ago, so I interrogated the SLABS ECU with Rovacom Lite and get the following error codes:

THE SLABS FAULT CODE MEMORY CONTAINS CODES FOR THE FOLLOWING CURRENT FAULTS:

13,0 REAR LEFT HEIGHT SENSOR OUT OF RANGE OCCURED 254 PREVIOUS TIMES.
13,1 REAR RIGHT HEIGHT SENSOR OUT OF RANGE OCCURED 254 PREVIOUS TIMES.
15,0 REAR LEFT CORNER VALVE POWER AMPLIFIER OPEN CIRCUIT OCCURED 254 PREVIOUS TIMES.
15,1 REAR RIGHT CORNER VALVE POWER AMPLIFIER OPEN CIRCUIT OCCURED 254 PREVIOUS TIMES.
15,2 EXHAUST VALVE POWER AMPLIFIER OPEN CIRCUIT OCCURED 0 PREVIOUS TIMES.

THE SLABS FAULT CODE MEMORY CONTAINS FAULT CODES FOR THE FOLLOWING INTERMITTENT FAULTS:
11,4 SHUTTLE VALVE SWITCH ELECTRICAL FAILURE OCCURED 0 PREVIOUS TIMES.
13,6 REAR LEFT CORNER VALVE DUTY CYCLE EXCEEDED OCCURED 254 PREVIOUS TIMES.
13,7 REAR RIGHT CORNER VALVE DUTY CYCLE EXCEEDED OCCURED 254 PREVIOUS TIMES.
16,7 COMPRESSOR DUTY CYCLE EXCEEDED OCCURED 0 TIMES.

Hmmm....height sensors....But I don't have air suspension!

But wait. There's More!

When I check the settings on the SLABS it says that the engine is a diesel, and that it has air suspension. (Wrong, and Wrong). The VIN is correct in the settings.

But wait. There's even more!

Now I check the voltages (via Rovacom) and it shows actual voltages, which fluctuate when the engine is running, for Exhaust Valve, Compressor Relay, RH and LH Front and Rear Sensors, Pump Relay, RH and LH Front and Rear Inlet and Outlet Valves....again, without air suspension!

So, did the prior owner swap out the air suspension for coils and the Dealer never told me? But why would it only cause problems 6 years after we bought it? Also, on startup bulb check, no SLS lights come on, only ACE and all the other correct ones...like they are supposed to. No, it doesn't seem likely.

BTW, I did write a new setting to the SLABS telling it that it was coil not air.

Ok Disco geniuses, can anyone tell me what the real, actual, no kidding problem is, and how I fix it?

Thanks!!!!!
Greg

Old 02-04-2014, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

If you look under the drivers' side do you see a black box on the frame where the compressor would be?

Old 02-05-2014, 09:59 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there a button left of the HVAC controls that shows the disco with an arrow pointing up? Sounds like bags were replaced with springs, which is a good thing. I removed the relay (#5) in the engine bay fuse box, never changed the settings in SLABS to turn off the SLS when my bags were replaced with springs. Shuttle valve failure could possibly be the cause of 3 amigos. Read fix below.

Here's the link...
http://www.landroverclubvi.com/abs-mod.html
I did option "B". No issues since.

Last edited by floundering; 02-05-2014 at 10:06 AM. Reason: added a link
Old 02-05-2014, 09:30 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jafir,
There is no box there, but there is a mount on the outboard side of the left frame rail (under driver's seat) that looks like it once did hold a box. Were those on every D2 frame, for manufacturing simplicity, regardless of whether it had SLS or is that a sure sign that this used to be an SLS truck?

Floundering,
There is no button like that with the arrow pointing up. I will look at relay 5, and thanks for the link.

Greg

Old 02-05-2014, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

Yep. This mount is always there.

Sounds like the computer settings just got whacky somehow.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:11 AM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Yeah someone has obviously gone in there and messed with it - but the fact that the computer (which IS "equipped" to run an SLS vehicle) is set to air suspension means that it will begin looking for the correct resistance on all the valve circuits and height sensors. They're automatically out of range since they aren't connected.

Don't quote me on this, but since engine management isn't part of SLABS I don't THINK the diesel matters, but perhaps it's a different set of software instructions based on the different weight, which would impact ABS performance and require different suspension settings? ..that's weird.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator

The slabs computer also is used for traction control and abs. It takes certain inputs from the ECU to calculate and adjust for loss traction, specifically throttle position. So I could see how diesel vs petrol could make a difference.