Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 lights are on, dealer wants to replace rear brakes..

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 03:05 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 lights are on, dealer wants to replace rear brakes..

the rear pads got down to nothing a while back, threw some pads on there just to get by for a while.
The truck is in there now for a power steering pump failure, he also says the shuttle valve in the ABS controller is bad and 'cant be replaced by itself, you have to replace the whole unit'.
So then he tells me that when the pad got down to nothing and it dug in very slightly to the rotor, its now causing a 'resonance' (his word) that is messing with the wheel speed sensor causing the 3 Lights of Doom to appear. He of course advises that use of aftermarket pads is anathema, and you will likely stop the Earths proper rotation with their continued use. Mind you I have had no issues with the pads I purchased, they dont seem very dusty, dont squeak, I used the CRC orange brake bedding material and then really bedded the pads once they were settled......I think he is just aching to do a brake job. The brakes on these trucks are crazy simple to replace and $660 to do rear discs and pads makes me chuckle big time.

So, I knew I was goign to have to replace the rear rotors sooner or later since they were gouged a bit (mind you this is my wifes daily driver, I almost never drive it) thats why the brakes got as bad as they did without my knowledge, as well as the other items.
What are my nest options for rear brake rotors and pads that play nice with the wheel sensors?

Thanks

Jay in Sacramento

Old 11-14-2006, 03:40 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 3 lights are on, dealer wants to replace rear brakes..

Jay,

We are down the road from you in Martinez. We routinely use Brembo rotors and PBR pads on these vehicles---and have no ABS false triggers. I have the rear rotors and pads for a Disco II on the website for $110.00

Call me if you want to do-it-yourself.

regards,
Geoman
www.eurotekapg.com

Old 11-14-2006, 06:02 PM
7th Gear

Geoman,
Thanks for the reply. So $110 for both rotors and pads? nice deal. I am unable to access your site today, I was able to see a google cache version, but no shopping.
I will be in touch.

Jay in Sacramento

Old 11-15-2006, 10:36 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Jay, If in fact the shuttle valve is bad, there is a kit now available to replace you old one, call a Rover parts department and ask for the price.
Mike

Old 11-15-2006, 02:55 PM
7th Gear

I am hoping that both the PS pump and the ABS unit will be replaced under my extended warranty (that expires in 5k miles-get all the use I can eh?)
So I hope to hear back today that they got the go ahead from MaxCare (extended warranty company) that items are covered and they will go ahead with repairs, since its been a real bitch driving both my kids and wife to daycare/school/work everyday.
Then Ijsut have to do the rear brake job, an dhope the dealer doesnt come back with anything else major going on with the truck.....

Thanks Guys

Jay in Sacramento

Old 11-16-2006, 01:56 AM
4wd High

Did you find the problem?my disco2 just started doing the same thing,and I know it's gonna be a headache.

Old 11-16-2006, 01:55 PM
7th Gear

Got a call from the dealer yesterday, both the PS pump and the ABS unit are being replaced under warranty....WOOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So hopefully we will get the truck back by Friday or Saturday, it stough since my son is going in for eye surgery tomorrow, and picking up the truck is goign to be really the last thing on my mind at that point....
But at least they were covered, and I only have a $75 deductible. That $2500 for the warranty paid off right now.

Jay in Sacramento

Old 11-16-2006, 04:48 PM
Drifting

Nice Jay! the extended warranty pays off on some vehicles, this is definetly one.