Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3D printed window rollers

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 01:32 PM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Lowest Bidder
And I just got a print of the final version this morning. Fit is perfect. This is the version you guys will get as well.

Thanks again!
Georges
Georges,

1-Can you tell us a bit about how these are assembled?
2-Have you done any durability testing?
3-Should we order from the Shapeways site or order them direct from you here?

Old 03-21-2016, 10:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

Got an email from shapeways,(I had registered and had 3 sets in cart, but had not pulled trigger). They offered 10% off to get off my rear and order, so I did.
Brian, when they get here will let you know and if you want come by and take a look-see while i install 1 on my son's 04.

Old 03-22-2016, 08:13 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Joemamma1954
Got an email from shapeways,(I had registered and had 3 sets in cart, but had not pulled trigger). They offered 10% off to get off my rear and order, so I did.
Brian, when they get here will let you know and if you want come by and take a look-see while i install 1 on my son's 04.
I may take you up on that. Let me know when you get them.

Wondering if I know you. Met a guy at the Adesa auction a while back that had bought an 04 for his son. Was that you?

Brian

Old 03-22-2016, 09:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

Not Me, Never been to an Auction.
I live in Southwest Austin, near Brodie Lane and Slaughter Lane. In Shady Hollow Subdivision.
I don't need all 9 that are coming, so you can always try one out to see how good they are.
I will PM you when they get here. If they get here soon, will probably do it Monday, since the kiddos are out of school and I am off work.

Old 03-25-2016, 09:08 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by Joemamma1954
Not Me, Never been to an Auction.
I live in Southwest Austin, near Brodie Lane and Slaughter Lane. In Shady Hollow Subdivision.
I don't need all 9 that are coming, so you can always try one out to see how good they are.
I will PM you when they get here. If they get here soon, will probably do it Monday, since the kiddos are out of school and I am off work.
Sent you a PM

Old 01-09-2017, 01:53 PM
Mudding
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey guys!

Sorry I haven't replied to this thread, I was occupied on another pet project elsewhere. I never thought the rollers would get the level of interest they actually got. They sold 43 of them now.

Shapeways is a company in NY that prints whatever you want from a 3D model you supply, and ship it to you. OR you can buy someone else's design if he chooses to put it up in Shapeways' catalog. When a part is sold, the person who designed it gets a little markup and once in a while, when you have accumulated 30$ in profit it comes as a Paypal credit.

The part is actually printed, sold, and shipped by Shapeways. They can print in all sorts of material including plastic, steel, aluminum, and gold. They are the biggest player in that new field of additive machining.

The rollers I designed are made from a plastic that resembles teflon, but harder and without anti-adhesive properties that teflon has. The surface is kind of finely textured, (about the same as 320 grit sandpaper I would say) which makes the glue adhere to it quite well. I use standard black Quick Weld from JB Weld. I repaired my wife's Disco windows with it, and she has been using the driver's door window twice a day for about two years now, when she gets in and out of the lot at work. Including when it's very cold. (it was -31 C this morning.)

I put a thin coat of vaseline on the rivet before glueing the two parts over it, so they do not stick to it. But In one instance I forgot to, and I was able to break the bond by force turning it with my fingers.

Anyway, it's quite straightforward. The way the two halves are designed, no strain is put on the glued surfaces while operating the window, and the surfaces themselves are quite large so there's a lot of adhesive.

Also just put a little white grease before reassembling the window actuators, and you're set.

Cheers!
Georges

The following 3 users liked this post by Lowest Bidder:
No Doubt (09-25-2017), Roont (08-19-2023), Wheelspin (03-28-2020)
Old 01-09-2017, 04:26 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Lowest Bidder
Hey guys!

Sorry I haven't replied to this thread, I was occupied on another pet project elsewhere. I never thought the rollers would get the level of interest they actually got. They sold 43 of them now.

Shapeways is a company in NY that prints whatever you want from a 3D model you supply, and ship it to you. OR you can buy someone else's design if he chooses to put it up in Shapeways' catalog. When a part is sold, the person who designed it gets a little markup and once in a while, when you have accumulated 30$ in profit it comes as a Paypal credit.

The part is actually printed, sold, and shipped by Shapeways. They can print in all sorts of material including plastic, steel, aluminum, and gold. They are the biggest player in that new field of additive machining.

The rollers I designed are made from a plastic that resembles teflon, but harder and without anti-adhesive properties that teflon has. The surface is kind of finely textured, (about the same as 320 grit sandpaper I would say) which makes the glue adhere to it quite well. I use standard black Quick Weld from JB Weld. I repaired my wife's Disco windows with it, and she has been using the driver's door window twice a day for about two years now, when she gets in and out of the lot at work. Including when it's very cold. (it was -31 C this morning.)

I put a thin coat of vaseline on the rivet before glueing the two parts over it, so they do not stick to it. But In one instance I forgot to, and I was able to break the bond by force turning it with my fingers.

Anyway, it's quite straightforward. The way the two halves are designed, no strain is put on the glued surfaces while operating the window, and the surfaces themselves are quite large so there's a lot of adhesive.

Also just put a little white grease before reassembling the window actuators, and you're set.

Cheers!
Georges
Georges, Thanks for designing the rollers and making them available. I would say that as long as there are enthusiasts keeping Discos alive,....there will be buyers for your rollers.

Not having received any instructions with the rollers, I used a gel type super glue. That was something like 9 mos ago,.....and they are still working fine. About to do a second door. I didn't think to use grease on the rivet,....good idea to keep the freshly glued roller halves from sticking to the rivet.

Thanks again!
Brian (Used to be in Austin,......now in San Antonio)

Old 01-09-2017, 06:58 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts
Default Thank You

Georges,

Really appreciate your update, process explanation and mostly time and effort put into this.

Take care.

Old 03-05-2017, 02:19 PM
Winching
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

...just replaced the one broken roller with one of these, and it works just fine, so keeping the other two as a backup. Did see "a white dusty residue" where I had left them overnight before installing today, hopefully it won't "erode", and it was just "residue" from the manufacturing process; either way. it is an awesome and affordable solution! The texture is great for the glue to work it's magic and bond both pieces together. ;-]#

Old 09-25-2017, 12:14 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 819 Likes on 596 Posts
Default Which adhesive

I'll be installing the 3D printed rollers from Shapeways the weekend after next and I'm interested in what adhesive those of you who have them in your trucks used, and about any things to avoid or problems that have cropped up.

I understand all too well how to remove the regulator having had it out three or four times trying to diagnose the window motor problem.

Georges (Lowest Bidder), who created the design, said he used "standard black Quick Weld from JB Weld" and reported no problems after two years in a harsh environment. Bcolins said he used a gel-type super glue and reported nine months going strong.

Any more testimonials or war stories to share? Thanks.

Quick Reply: 3D printed window rollers