Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.6 Liner Rust

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 01:42 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts
Default 4.6 Liner Rust

Well..my 2004 Disco project has halted completely after getting the engine apart.

Store time: I bought my 2004 Discovery with a blown engine due to a bad oil pump, it is a great looking truck and I did a lot of work while saving up for a perfect engine. I found a breakers yard in New York that had an engine from a 2002 P38 Range Rover with little over 3,000 miles on it. The breakers yard had sketchy reviews, but I went forward with it purely wanting the truck to run perfectly.

oh boy

It got here, delivered to my workshop and it sat there for another month until I had time and was home for a good bit of time. I started with taking off the top end, then heads, and as soon as heads are off water pours out of the bloody engine! &$@$

Look inside, rust in the cylinders, clean off with a bit of penetrating oil and a rag there's rust pitting. Call machine shop, they can't get the correct oversized pistons without severely overboring the cylinder. No don't want issues with block cracking. Crank is rusted, don't know what oil pump looks like. Lifters are fine, push rods are rusty, and rockers are rusty.

Anyone know what I should do?? thinking I'm screwed here, what about top hat liners? I have B sized pistons from factory

Old 06-19-2018, 04:42 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Did water get inside the engine because of where you stored it for a month or was it sent that way by the junkyard? If they sent it that way you should be standing in their office right now.

If your fault it sounds like you have no choice but to replace the liners. You don't have to go with Darton top hats, there are OEM style liners available and for a 4.0L P38 block that option should be okay. Then of course you'll need to replace the crank, all bearings, redo the oil pump, valvetrain, timing parts, etc. to get it going. If this was my engine I'd probably pin the new liners while I was in there.

If the camshaft is okay I guess you can reuse the lifters but with all the work you'll be doing it probably makes sense to replace the cam and lifters, too. Don't run worn lifters with a new cam or you'll wipe out both.

Good luck.

Old 06-19-2018, 04:56 PM
Rock Crawling

I assume where the yard had it since 2002. They are denying responsibility for the engine, saying that I caused the damage, and it was sold as a good running engine to me I think it's BS....

I have a climate controlled workshop for my daytime job, I don't store things outside. I'm already in a lawsuit, so I have no want to sue.

Going to see about OEM liners, I'll start disassembly and order whatever I see need be, maybe I'll try the Crower cam I hear great things about.

cheers mate

Old 06-19-2018, 05:05 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

Drive to a upullit in PA, pull a motor yourself, disassemble in the yard before you pay. If it's good, pay $150 (approx) and take your engine home.

Old 06-19-2018, 05:15 PM
Rock Crawling

I am in Illinois haha!

I want a good engine, not a high mileage motor. Thank you for the suggestion, if worst comes to worst I have a 130k mile 4.6 sat somewhere..

Old 06-20-2018, 08:29 AM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by User
I found a breakers yard in New York that had an engine from a 2002 P38 Range Rover with little over 3,000 miles on it.
I’ve got some beachfront property in the trunk of my car I’m also selling... sorry, but the claim of a 3k mile motor from a wrecking yard, regardless of their reviews is a gold $hitting unicorn, add to that the sketchy reviews, you should have known better.

Old 06-20-2018, 10:02 AM
Rock Crawling

hah...

I have no doubt it is truly 3,000 miles. Completely silver, and no carbon buildup besides a tiny bit on the head.

What is annoying is that water got into it. I have no doubt it has sat since 2002.

Old 06-20-2018, 10:47 AM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

I just don't see how it could have sat on a shelf since 2002 and not be bought. I guess its possible they forgot about it after it fell in their swimming pull and then fished it out in 2018 to sell it, but really. All that water probably cleaned it up nice

Old 06-20-2018, 11:05 AM
Rock Crawling

come on buddy, enough of insult to injury

I wanted a new engine engine within my budget, I bought one for very likely too much, but it was a good bit less than rebuilding my current 4.6 (that has scored cylinder walls, metal shavings everywhere, and a destroyed front cover), and significantly less than a short block from AB, Turner, or any other name.

I asked for suggestions on what to do with this engine. I am not an expert. I got a good suggestion of OEM styled liners, and then your pointless comment.

Last edited by User; 06-20-2018 at 11:07 AM.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:29 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by User
...I wanted a new engine engine within my budget....and significantly less than a short block from AB, Turner, or any other name....
Standing by my recommendations if you want to fix the rusty engine you already own.

If you're not jazzed about rebuilding I have a factory brand new P38 4.0L short block for sale on eBay right now. Maybe take a look?

Feel free to PM me.

Quick Reply: 4.6 Liner Rust