Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.6 Ticking

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 12:37 PM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyingZebra34
So after talking to my neighbor, the original owner. The motor has 35 thousand miles and 8 years. New Bosch engine.

Now that I'm awake I realize I can't replace the valve without pulling the head. I already have spare head gaskets and all that. So that's not a problem. Also work in a shop. So that's also not an issue.

just curious as to how much I'm loosing from that valve. How much of a pita is it to replace valve seat and all that. I'd rather do it myself. I'll buy a new head if I screw it up.
Work in a shop? Port and Polish that bad boy!!! Changing the valves and seals should be easy with your equipment.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by CollieRover
Work in a shop? Port and Polish that bad boy!!! Changing the valves and seals should be easy with your equipment.
I'm not that cool haha. Normally when customers bring us cars that tick, it's too late or just cheaper to throw another motor at it. Most people who realize something is wrong before it's too late, do there own work. So It's rare that kind of thing comes in.

Also after checking the clearances with the new rocker, everything seems ok. So I polished the valve stem and ran it. Now looking at the driver's side I see 2 more exhaust rockers are damaged. Going to replace those too. Very odd that I've never seen the little hardened steel bit on the rockers break. Especially with this low mileage. Nothing else seems a miss either. Just glad all these metal bits seem to have made it to the oil pan on the way down.

Hopefully with a cleaned out PCV system, and running BG oil treatments she'll stop burning so much oil. I just don't know where it's coming from.

Old 12-12-2018, 05:35 AM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyingZebra34
I'm not that cool haha. Normally when customers bring us cars that tick, it's too late or just cheaper to throw another motor at it. Most people who realize something is wrong before it's too late, do there own work. So It's rare that kind of thing comes in.

Also after checking the clearances with the new rocker, everything seems ok. So I polished the valve stem and ran it. Now looking at the driver's side I see 2 more exhaust rockers are damaged. Going to replace those too. Very odd that I've never seen the little hardened steel bit on the rockers break. Especially with this low mileage. Nothing else seems a miss either. Just glad all these metal bits seem to have made it to the oil pan on the way down.

Hopefully with a cleaned out PCV system, and running BG oil treatments she'll stop burning so much oil. I just don't know where it's coming from.
It's pretty strange. I would be suspect of the Camshaft, lifters and Rods. Possible they were put back out of order, and some difference in wear caused them to apply too much force to the tops of those valves? Have you looked in the valley and inspected? I would think that some amount of excessive downforce was at one time, or over time was consistently applied to those valve springs, and the breaking of the retaining ring/bottom of rocker arm alleviated it. It could be the actual rocker arm should have been shimmed.

When I had my Turner Block installed I got it home, and the service engine light went off with a bunch of misfires. The shop told that the valve springs just broke, but did not tell me it was because the ringlets from the rocker cover gasket had found heir way into the combustion chamber, one each side. The springs were what went, and I still have one somewhere. I didn't figure this out until I did HG's and found three ringlets in the top of the Head, and two small indents on two pistons. It's very possible that this happenes, or that someting else worked it's way into the combustion chamber and caused this.

Last edited by CollieRover; 12-12-2018 at 05:42 AM.