Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 D1 intemitten missfire/stumbling

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 01:56 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 D1 intemitten missfire/stumbling

Ok, just after a refueling, 18.5gal to be exact. Within 10 miles my D1 stared intermittenly idling poorly and stumbling around 1800-2100rpm, I can push thru that rpm and take off like a rocket. Using info from the Dweb and others. I changed the fuel filter, fuel that I drained from it came up brownish, added octane booster and gas dry as sevearl were suspection bad gas since I had just refuel and wasnt having any issues prior to this. Its a little better but not all the way back to par. I do have a check engine light, had the codes pulled, getting a random misfire, missfire on cylinders 4 and 8 and the 1316 code. It has brand new champions, brand new plug wires just prior to this. I pulled the plugs and regaped them to spec, and non of them looked steam cleaned ect. I dont have any coolant loss as well. She does have 126k on the clock. Current plan unless I hear words other wise is to burn off this tank of fuel, refuel with a different stations gas and I am going to dump a can of seafoam in the next tank full. She always starts, hot or cold and will idle smoothly from cold all the way up to full temp just sitting in the driveway. You have to drive it for the funky stuff to start. For example, you can stop at one traffic light, smooth idle, take off nice and smooth, go to stop at the next light and it starts idling like crap, and stumbling around those rpms I wrote above. By the time the next stop comes, its idling fine again. The cats and O2's were replaced around 123K. If its idling poorly, I can shift to neutral, give it a quick rev to 3K and it will fall into a nice smooth idle. Short of throwing money and sensors at it. I am out of ideas beyond just a bad tank of watery or dirty fuel. Thanks Mike

Old 04-23-2007, 11:57 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: 96 D1 intemitten missfire/stumbling

I would drain off that gas, I would call the gas station and let then know the gas looks contaminated and even push them to check there tank and also go for a refund.
As for your truck, do not burn off that gas unless you want to add to your end expense. Drain it off, pull the pump and inspect the tank for contamination, clean if need be and start over. Otherwise you stand a chance of trashing your cats and possible damage to the O2's along with fouling out your injectors.
If you want to talk about it, send me your tele number and a good time to call.
Mike

Old 04-23-2007, 07:14 PM
Overlanding

Little late but I can drain whats left, already burned off almost a half tank as I have to get to work, and that way is the disco. Its running much better since adding the fuel line dryer and octane booster. Getting a refund is like next to impossbile around here in PA. The fuel that I drained from the line to the tank looked ok, but the fuel that I drained from the filter itself was brown. The filter looked old, IE painted black like the frame.I wouldnt think it was original as it was dealer serviced for most of its life. I may need to check fuel pressure as I am wondering about that, she doesnt really smell rich out the exhaust when its stumbling, but I would think that it would starve worse when I floor it on the highway, but it doesnt, infact it takes off quite well when I hit the afterburners. Most of the time on the highway to work its fine, maybe one round of stumbling. One other question for ya Mike, can I run in Diff Lock mode with the front shaft removed while I change out U joints. I have a siezed up one, but with work schedules, it will take me a day or two to get them changed out. Looks to be the transfer case end as I can feel the bearings running hot. Rear shaft is cool on all four caps. If I can run this way for a day or so on just my rear shaft, I will drop my front driveshaft tonight between rain storms. Thanks Mike

Old 04-24-2007, 10:05 PM
3rd Gear

dont worry about the gas. but if it doean't clear up after this tank i would go for the sea foam first, but start your car, and pull a vaccum line and suck all the sea foam out of the container with the vaccum line. then shut the car off let it sit for around 20-30 minutes then start it and run the smoke out of it. make sure you are outdoors for it will smoke like a mother. if this doesn't help get a logic probe and test coil and injector pulse

Old 07-03-2007, 10:55 AM
Len
3rd Gear

Anyone have a picture of the right vacuum hose to use for the Sea Foam cleaning? I have a 96 Discovery I.

Thanks

Old 07-03-2007, 10:59 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It is the one coming out of the valve cover gasket into the throttle body. I'll see if I can get a pic later if you still need it.

Old 07-03-2007, 11:56 AM
Len
3rd Gear

No. I got it. Thanks.
Len