Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'97 Disco - Rear differential or hub/bearing problem?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 07:12 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kymike
And the culprit is: Wheel bearing!

I finally got the left rear half axle out using a pry bar - it was easy with that. As I mentioned in my earlier post, I think just clearing the splines past the inner seal was the holdup.

Anyway, when I pulled the hub assembly off, pieces of the bearing just fell out on to the floor. The whole bearing housing was destroyed, and several rollers were destroyed as well.

A couple of questions:

1. Do you think the hub needs to be replaced? I guess I should clean it out, make sure all the bits are removed, and feel for any unevenness that might indicate damage?

2. About those rear brake discs. They're the original discs, but they (both sides) don't look particularly bad. There are some smooth grooves, but the same pads have been on the car for three years now, and haven't worn out yet. Leave 'em on? I had new discs put on the front back in '06, btw.

Thanks,

Mike
LOL Good God dude. I had a U-Joint on a '94 F-150 that looked like that. The needle bearings weren't bearings anymore, they were more of a fine grit in the cap. Glad you got it figured out though...the rear end of my XJ is making noise similar to that, so I think I better check it out.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:31 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the tips.

About those races - I'm a bit confused about those things. They're not part of the bearing itself? (Bear in mind I'm just going by the diagrams in the RAVE manual.) I had ordered a bearing replacement kit from Atlantic British, but it didn't include any races.

All the metal bits (bearings and what I think are the races) were all mangled, so I guess I have more parts to order! Crap, now I might not get it done by the weekend.

Thanks,

Mike

Old 04-23-2009, 09:55 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wait - I think I need to understand what a 'race' is. I was thinking it was a small, thin ring of some sort. But, looking at a couple of pictures I found on Google, it looks like the 'race' is the 'silvery metal surface' on the inside of the hub (where the bearings go.)

Is that right? I'm not at home right now, so I can't look. Where can I get a replacement? Doesn't look like Atlantic British sells them. I guess they normally come with the hub?

All I can say is that when I looked last night, the inside of the hub looked ok to me; at least it didn't have any obvious gouges in it like the stub axle did.

Thanks. I'm learning...

Mike

Old 04-23-2009, 02:00 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not native English speaker, but as far as I am concern the bearing is made of two parts, and the race is the outer part of it. If you order a bearing it comes with the race. Unless Race here refers to something else, which I cannot think of.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:41 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Sorry, forgot about this thread. I expect you have it fixed by now, but in case you don't, the outer race is what's sitting on top in this drawing. That is a press fit in the hub. You'll need a punch to drive out the old one. You can then place the new one in the hub, lay the old on one top of it, and drive it in.
The race is tapered to match the bearing, so make sure the smaller ID of the races are towards the inside of the hub.

Attached Thumbnails '97 Disco - Rear differential or hub/bearing problem?-cupcone.gif