Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 disco ,hit bump shaky front end

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 08:54 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shaky front end

I hope you get this thread before you spend a whole lot more cash. I have a 96 disco that put me thru the same crazy thing, I finally put on a stabilizer shock made by "old man emu" and it solved the problem. I spent piles of cash and am still kicking myself for this, these rovers will drive a normal person nuts so it's good to gt as much info as you can before you spend. Nate

Old 05-06-2009, 07:18 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by texmanmoore
i was hoping you would respond , yes i will check into rebuild kit , Im assuming the rebuild kit is nothing more than a new bushing/ bearing and shims. Is it possible i need to go deeper and do the bigger repair and replace the swivel ***** , Im wondering how big of a job that is , I want to fix this problem once and for all , so far my own labor is cheaper than anyting i can afford. I do wish however there was some good step by step instruction for replacing the swivel ***** along with new bushing/ bearings.
The kit typically comes with all the seals and gaskets from the large swivel seal on out to the flange gasket.
It's not a huge job, just tedious. The factory manual gives step by step (that's what RAVE is, only electronic format). The Haynes manual does as well.
Removing shims is just a temporary fix. You shouldn't need new swivel *****, they aren't a wearing item.

Originally Posted by nate
I hope you get this thread before you spend a whole lot more cash. I have a 96 disco that put me thru the same crazy thing, I finally put on a stabilizer shock made by "old man emu" and it solved the problem.
NO!
You didn't solve the problem, you masked the problem.
I see this all the time on the various forums, "I installed a new stabilizer, problem solved."
Land Rovers do not need a stabilizer to prevent steering wobble, that is NOT the purpose of a steering stabilizer.

Last edited by antichrist; 05-06-2009 at 07:24 AM.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:41 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default responce Tom Rowe

I really feel like im getting the root cause , great information to any one having this problem , thx again