Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to buy my first disco and need some convincing it's a good idea

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 11:16 AM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are going to become a DII owner here are a few things that you will need. Not an all inclusive list but a good start. D*

(1) (B)rave manual
(2) A well stocked tool cabinet
(3) A well stocked wallet
(4) A boat load of patience
(5) AAA Gold Plus membership

Old 06-08-2016, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,295 Likes on 1,687 Posts

"D2 = pain"

Not really if maintained properly and you fix the simple stuff before it turns into bigger stuff (same goes for any vehicle really). Keep em running as cool as possible and a D2 with a 4.0L V8 can be extremely reliable.

My 02 Kalahari I've almost had a year and besides me dumping $$$$ into bumpers, a lift, tires, and a winch I haven't spent over $100.00 in mechanical stuff and it's got 226K on it.

98 D1 same story once I got done fixing some misc trim pieces, and spending some $$$$ on a lift, tires, and an ARB bumper I haven't really spent any $$$$ on it besides, gas, oil changes, and the only mechanical items were an alternator (bought it with a cheap refurb already installed), and a belt tensioner pulley.

99 I haven't owned but a few months, but besides 2 new 02 sensors, a 180F Grey Thermostat, and swapping out a radiator (had a new one from my 03 parts truck) that's it besides replacing the alternator and battery which is why it was for sale in the first place (once again I had a battery and alternator so I spent nothing).

TX is a very harsh environment for any vehicle, but out of my nearly 20 years of driving or owning a LR in Texas I have yet to be left on the side of the road in one. Apparently that's Jeep Wrangler, and Ford Transit Connect territory lol (only 2 vehicles that have left me kicking the tires on the side of the road in the middle of no where..).

Old 06-08-2016, 08:08 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

As an owner of an 04 I'd say do it. It's kinda like having one of those "gifted " kids. Brilliant at math. Blow you away with computing then get something so simple completely wrong. There are some things about it that make me scratch my head. The cooling system is odd to say the least. On the flip side...ive never seen a near stock vehicle be as capable off road. I've switch to a 180 stat and I've had zero problems. As have many many other owners. I don't think the inline thermostat mod is at all mandatory. There is no shortage of people who think they are reinventing the wheel. You will find a lot of guys want to mod or change everything. But the factory layout does work. If it's all in good shape.
Yes watch the temps. That's for sure. Not sure I fall into the line of thinking these other guys do about them. Mine has been nothing but good to me. I've taken this truck on thousands of miles road trips and some of the most extreme off roading I've ever done. I've never had an issue that wasn't the result of owning a 12 year old vehicle. I'm on top of my maintenence big time. It has never broken down or left me stranded in any way.

Last edited by Shiftonthefly1; 06-08-2016 at 08:11 PM.