Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to purchase new tires...could use some input

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 10:26 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default About to purchase new tires...could use some input

Hi all,

I'm about to purchase new tires for my 2001 Disco. I've decided on Maxxus AT-771 after some research. I use my Disco mostly for commuting, with just a little off-road use for now, as right now it's my only vehicle. When I add a "reasonable commuter", then I can take her off road more.

I chose the Maxxus AT-771 after reading that they are quite capable off road, in bad weather, and have a quiet ride as well. They also look pretty meaty :-) All things I'm looking for in a tire.

I'm in Bucks County, Pa and commute to Philly, so I face snow & ice & windy, hairy roads (and some great places to off-road) locally, and highways and potholes downtown.

I have two questions:

1) any feedback / comments on the Maxxus AT-771?

2) Should I "size up"? If so, what size would I size up to, will they rub, anything else I should know about doing that? i understand it looks "cooler", but are there any other benefits/detriments to doing it?

I was going with the stock size my Disco came with..... and guess I still will unless anyone has reasons for me to do otherwise.

Thanks all - you've made my purchase and repairs on my favorite car so much easier! I may never visit a Land Rover dealer again.

-Marni

Old 10-29-2011, 07:41 AM
Winching
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

The Maxxus tires will not hold up to the milage for your commute. They are a mid grade tire at best. I have a pair of the maxxus mudder. I had the Duratracs and I love them but I am now switching over the the goodyear silent Armour. it is the tire you want to look at. I have 5 friends all with different trucks all serious truck owners both as off roaders and commuters, daily drivers etc.. all have switched over to this tire and we all live in PA. from Philly to state college area. It is the on/off road performance along with a slightly quiter ride better ride and a tread that will hold up for your daily commute.WHile ensuring you the best traction in the extremely varied conditions we get in the Del valley. You can get them installed at Ardmore Tire in Conshy, for 190 a piece plus tax.

Old 10-29-2011, 08:03 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got some Goodyear wrangler silent armours and I love em. Not noisy on the highway and great traction off road. Yet to test them in the canadian winter, but I'm sure they will be fine. Plus I got them all 4 installed for 800 bucks. not bad

Old 10-29-2011, 08:37 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

What size is your current tire? In most cases up-sizing 1 size can make a nice difference in handling, ride and appearance.
The Silent armor is a good tire but if you have a lot of snow and ice to deal with the Dura Trac is better.

Old 10-29-2011, 08:39 AM
Winching
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I don't have a Disco yet, but from what I have read, you can go up to a 255/70-16's without any problems. I would take a look at Michelin AT2's.

Old 10-29-2011, 09:11 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Dude, get a REAL tire!!!

COOPER DISCOVERER S/T LT

Quiet on road, great off road, the only thing better in the snow is a snow tire.

Old 10-29-2011, 09:35 AM
Mudding
Default So glad I asked!

Originally Posted by jeffh
The Maxxus tires will not hold up to the milage for your commute. They are a mid grade tire at best. I have a pair of the maxxus mudder. I had the Duratracs and I love them but I am now switching over the the goodyear silent Armour. it is the tire you want to look at. I have 5 friends all with different trucks all serious truck owners both as off roaders and commuters, daily drivers etc.. all have switched over to this tire and we all live in PA. from Philly to state college area. It is the on/off road performance along with a slightly quiter ride better ride and a tread that will hold up for your daily commute.WHile ensuring you the best traction in the extremely varied conditions we get in the Del valley. You can get them installed at Ardmore Tire in Conshy, for 190 a piece plus tax.
Jeffh - thanks for the info, sounds like a better choice. I had originally found the Maxxus for $600 (not installed) so will be right at the same price.

Conshy is alittle drive for me, but sound worth the 45 minute trip. I'll get with Ardmore Tire either today (if open, and snow stops!) or Monday. Anyone in particular there I should speak with?

Thanks again for the great feedback... you saved me some possible disappointment.

Marni

Old 10-29-2011, 09:49 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
What size is your current tire? In most cases up-sizing 1 size can make a nice difference in handling, ride and appearance.
The Silent armor is a good tire but if you have a lot of snow and ice to deal with the Dura Trac is better.
Disco Mike,

You are always such a big help! Last year we were inundated with snow and ice...so much so that I thought there's no way that it would be as bad this year. Murphy's Law: As I'm typing this, a freak Nor'Easter is hitting us, and I'm looking at 2" of snow on the ground and still falling steady. Predictions up to 6". A rarity in October! That darn global warming :-)

In my heart of hearts, I still think it will be a lighter winter this year, and as of Jan 1, I will only be commuting to Philly (50 miles each way) 3 days a week. So, I think I'm going to go with the recommended Goodyear Silent Armour. Was going to replace them with the same size currently on my Disco: 255/65/R16. I think I would like to size up, but try as I might, I'm not sure what size "sizing up" would be. Can you help me, once again, and tell me what size tire I want in order to "size up"?

Always appreciate the help.... I'm a single woman with a tight pocketbook, and even though I try to research as much as possible, I always feel better asking you all first so I don't feel like I'm getting taken advantage of.

Thanks, and anyone else getting hit with snow before Halloween like I am - stay warm!

-Marni

Old 10-29-2011, 09:56 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Might consider a 245/75/16 makes for a great tire size on a Disco with a stock suspension.

Old 10-29-2011, 12:31 PM
Winching
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Marni,
No one in particular at Ardmore and the price I told you was for the 265/75/16 yours will be cheaper. You might have a place up in Bucks that will also have good pricing and will save you the travel time. In any case it is a day for them to order in for you. Mike, as usual, is tack on with the size he mentioned for you on stock suspension. I, like most here, have larger than stock sizes... and no longer have much in the way of stock suspension. But in any case for Our area and snow/rain/sleet/ freezing crappy ****. on highway I think the Silent Armour will treat you well and give you a ride and confidence that one should have in any vehicle let alone with ours... enjoy. let us all know what you do and how it works out. follow thru on questions is just as important as the question.