Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

New To Land Rovers and could use some advise

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 07:59 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts
Default New To Land Rovers and could use some advise

Hey Guys. New to the site and am new to Land Rovers for the most part. I am a mechanic by trade and have done some routine maintanence on these before but nothing major.

Here is my issue. I have a chance to purchase a ridiculously cheap 99 Discovery I. it has 123k miles. Paint is mint. Interior is in great shape. Its a one owner dealer serviced truck that has probably never seen more than a dirt road.

But... The previous owner was told it has some sort of "engine" problem that would be expensive to fix the owner just parked it in his garage several years ago. thats where it has sat untouched until i came around.

I havent demised what exactly is the problem but I am preparing for the worst. New engine. I looked through his previous dealership receipts and discovered he did some major work to ABS /brakes and steering system. Then in 2002 he had the whole top end rebuilt. That rebuild only has about 20k miles on it. It may be only head gaskets or minor issues but I'm not sure yet. As cheap as I'm getting this i could sell it for parts and make money but Id rather bring it back to life.

I have looked on line and read revues on this truck and am a little worried to put the money into it. Ive read a lot of horror stories on the transmission/transfer case and general reliability problems. Ive found that a lot of people hate it while others love it.

My question is this: Can i make this into a reliable trustworthy vehicle? I have owned nothing but older cars and trucks for years. Im no stranger to maintenance and breakdowns. I just don't want to be fighting a losing battle here. Ive owned primarily American trucks in the past for their brutal simplicity. International scouts, Suburbans, K5 Blazers, broncos, etc.

What i want from this truck is simple. My kids are coming to visit this summer and i want a slightly more refined truck to take some road trips and do some light to mild off roading to go camping. Nothing crazy or extreme in any way. I live in Las Vegas so temps will be brutal in the desert. Then this next winter go to Utah, and Lake Tahoe so snow may be in its future too. I want to get there in relative comfort and know I'm going to get there and back safely. Im not worried about rattles or leaks or on road handling. After driving an 80's Suburban with a 6 inch lift Ive learned to live with poor road manners. I considered swapping the drive train with that of a chevy or the like but I really don't like that idea. So I want to keep it as stock as possible.

Is this plan possible? What common issues should I look for? What are some major weak points that i can address now?

Thank you for any and all advise given. It really means a lot.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:22 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Are these trucks relivable? HELL YES!!!
The transmission and t-case are bullet proof as long as you take care of them, it is common for people to not check the fluid level in the t-case and the bearings go out because it was ran low on fluid, most quick lubes do not even check the fluid level because they dont know how.
It is a full time 4x4, the driveline is simpler than a Chevy, all gears, no clutches, just good old big brass gears slinging around nice heavy gear lube.
Premium fuel is required.
Read through the tech section.
Buy it, if nothing else you can part it out later.

Mine was also a one owner dealer maintained, now I'm over 212k with little repairs, lots of maintenance, but little repairs.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:57 PM
Pro Wrench

Wow thanks man.Your reply is very helpful. Im ridiculous with maintenece on my vehicles including the neglected fluids. All that was going to be changed any way. My confidence is improving.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:58 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

How much can you buy this for?

Old 03-24-2012, 09:03 PM
Pro Wrench

Much less than 500

Old 03-24-2012, 09:08 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's a Buick pattern V8, stupid simple. Parts can be had reasonably if you know where to go. These trucks are very reliable if you are willing to maintain it. Horror stories? These are perpetuated by people who never did routine services to their vehicle and had to pay for the neglect in the end. The transmission is one of the best available, the transfer case will last if kept full. If you keep the fluids full and keep the engine cool the truck will serve you well. Neglect those and you will become a statistic like the other Rover owners who complain the trucks fall apart.

Buy it.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:20 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

That's the exact deal I wish I'd got when I got my rover. A perfect mechanic's special.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:24 PM
Pro Wrench

I really appriciate the replies. This makes me feel better about starting with a good foundation.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Here's all the manuals - owners and shop and electrical - called the RAVE - free download.

Old 03-25-2012, 11:05 PM
Pro Wrench

Hey wow thanks man. I will need those I'm sure!!

Quick Reply: New To Land Rovers and could use some advise