Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS fault/Check engine, Code 1317 solution

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 01:54 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS fault/Check engine, Code 1317 solution

My ABS indicator wouldn't go out, and then shortly thereafter the check engine light came on. I pulled the code and it gave me 1317 (ABS rough road line low fault), cleared it, and of course it came back. What is a rough road line anyway? I pulled the ABS fuse, as the system was engageing intermittantly, and yanked the bulb, so no more ABS, no more light.

Then, the brakes started squeeking, so I pulled the wheels and found that the rear brake pads were extremely low. Replaced them, cleared the code, and the check engine light stayed off. Replaced the bulb and fuses, now the ABS light goes off when it should and the abs system is working perfectly! Just brake pads, not a bunch of $300 sensors. I'm shocked. Hope this helps someone down the road.

Old 06-17-2007, 11:52 AM
4wd Low
Default RE: ABS fault/Check engine, Code 1317 solution

My question was going to relate to the ABS light not going off. It happens to also be when my brakes (not sure which ones) are starting to squeak/squeel...like it's time to replace some pads.

When I owned my Hondas...whenever the brake fluid was low or the brakes needed pads the brake light would come on.

Does anyone know if this may also be the case with the rover? I have a Disco98...just hit 100K.

Thanks for everyone's help. I'm so very happy to have found this website. I applaud all of the mods and veteran members who are so willing to help out those like me who ask stupid questions.

Old 02-09-2008, 02:08 PM
Three Wheeling

it isn't a problem to remove the ABS fuse ? it says on it "do not remove" just curious

Old 02-09-2008, 07:38 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The ABS has to be checked by a rover compatible scanner. It is more than likely a wheel sensor. YOu may have a bad hub, with your faults. Find a local rover shop to scan and clear the codes. If they come back, you know where to start. The dealer more than likely will not clear the codes unless they fix something...

Squealing pads can set a fault...