Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS Modulator install

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 01:18 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS Modulator install

Hello

Well, I took the Disco to the dealer to have them disagnose a few issues, including the ABS/HDC/TC lights. They traced it down to faulty ABS modulator, unfortunately.

They quoted something like $2000 for the part and 4 hours labor. I've seen threads on the kits to replace the shuttle valves that solves the problem sometimes. Or I can get a used unit with 6 month warranty for about $450.

Is this a DIY job? I have worked on cars before on basic things (like oil change, plugs, t-stat change, etc.), but haven't done brake job yet. Any thoughts? I could source just the part and have another shop swap out the unit, I suppose, rather than paying the dealer $150/hour to do it!

Thanks!

Old 01-17-2007, 01:23 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: ABS Modulator install

What are your brakes doing at this time, does the ABS and traction control work? Did they actually scan and find codes are are they just guessing that the control unit has failed.
I have heard of a couple people who have used the kit and installed it them selves some with success and some with no improvement.
Mike

Old 01-17-2007, 03:00 PM
Drifting

Well, the ABS works on the front wheels only. I do feel it pusating when I put the fronts on snow/ice and slam on the brakes. But the rears just lock up, and the tail end swings out. Haven't had a chance to try out the TC yet, and the HDC just beeps at me when I press the button.

The dealer said they checked out the sensors and read the codes, which pointed to the Modulator.

Old 01-17-2007, 03:11 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Sounds like a problem. Here is a link to a good site for guaranteed used parts, might want to call them and check on their prices.
http://www.roverlandparts.com/index.asp
Good luck
Mike

Old 01-18-2007, 06:50 PM
Three Wheeling

Replacing it is not difficult. Go buy a good set (Craftsmanare nice)of flare nut wrenchs to save the fittings. Worth every penny you spend on them. Get a can ofAnti-Seize/bolt loosener spray as well. You don't want to round off the flare nut corners. You'll also need to bleed the system when you are done (if you have not done this before, let me know and I will tell you how to do this). Brake fluid will take you paint off, so use plastic (and rags sometimes) to protect the area round it (especially below the modulator). Tim

Old 01-18-2007, 07:06 PM
Drifting

I love buying tools. Drives my wife nuts.

It would be awesome if you can tell me how to do the bleed job. Haven't worked on brakes yet...but there's always the first time!

Old 01-18-2007, 10:31 PM
Three Wheeling

Brake Bleed Procedure:

1) Make sure the reservoir is full of the correct fluid type (check you manual for the right DOT type)
2) Have your wife, kid, neighbor, mother-inlaw, person off the street (you get the idea) sit in the driver seat (MAKE SURE THE ENGINE IS OFF)
3) Start with the caliper furtherest from the reservoir (back passenger side) and find the brake bleeder on the back of the caliper (you have to crawl underneath the vehicle). Get a fluid resistant, cleartube and put it over the nipple. Run the other end in to a fluid resistant can (like a coffee can).
4) Have the someone pump the brakes (maybe 5 to 10 times) to build up pressure. Then have them push it down and hold it. While they have the pedal on the floor, open the bleeder. Not much will come out at first. Also the pedal with probably go all the way to the floor. Then close the bleeder.
5) Repeat the pump, hold, andbleedcycleuntil you see bubbless fluid come out. Usually this takes about 5 times or so. Check the reservoir often to make sure it does not run low.
6) Next, move on to the driver side, back caliper. Repeat the above pump and hold, bleedcycleuntil you see bubbless fluid come out. Check the reservoir often to make sure it does not run low.
7) Once the back is done, move on to the front Passenger side caliper and bleed it. Check the reservoir often to make sure it does not run low.
8) Finally, do the front dirver side.
9) Once you are done, fire up the engine (but leave in park). Pump the brakes to make sure they don't feel squishy/soft (if they do, then you need to rebleed the system).
10) Test drive, but don't go too fast at first. Make sure you can stop quickly. I usually take avantage of this test drive to pick up a few beverages.
11) Go pop a beer (this step is very important).

Old 01-21-2007, 02:25 PM
Drifting

Thanks for the great info! I'll give it a try once it warms up a bit....

I suppose the beer should be Guiness, for these cars