Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS relay draining battery

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 06:31 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS relay draining battery

Hi folks - new member here so be patient!! I've bought a 2001 Discovery Td5 but had a parasitic draw on my battery which was leaving it flat after a couple of days . With ignition off there is a chattering/ticking noise from passenger side behind bulkhead somewhere. No warning lights on though. With a bit of help worked out it's to do with abs by pulling fuses until amps draw dropped to normal. If I leave the 30amp fuse out the chattering noise stops and I've just come back from a week away and battery still has plenty of power to start the disco . Looking into it a bit it would seem to be some sort of relay (or solenoid) that is causing the problem. The sound we are hearing would appear to be power switching on and off and draining power. Can someone out there tell me how to locate the faulty relay/solenoid and how to replace it?? Thanks in advance....

Old 10-20-2012, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Do you also have self leveling suspension? Which can try to keep leveling after key turned off. Also, which fuse number is it from which panel (inside truck or under hood)? The RAVE has very good electrical troubleshooting manual and circuits diagrams. The 30 amp fuse goes to the SLABS ECU, the 30 amp fuse link (bolts in) goes to the ABS pump. Once you look at things on the circuit digram (like an old road map, a colored line runs from "X" to "Y"), you note a small connector number beside the device. Go to the electrical guide, connectors, and there is a picture and location of that part. In living color on a Disco that is soooooo cleeen they must keep in in a jar.

Old 10-20-2012, 08:38 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

There was a TSB (technical service bulletin) on this problem, the ABS is supposed to stop cycling after 10min of turn the truck off.
The fault was the ABS would keep "working" and drain the battery.
Take the truck to your dealer and have them look up the VIN# to see if the TSB has been performed on your truck.

Old 10-20-2012, 08:47 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

There would only have been work for that problem, done by the dealer at customer expense, not under warranty and as such the dealer can't help determine if the work was done.

Old 10-20-2012, 11:28 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for replies. I'll check at the beginning of the week if the TSB has been carried out on my car.
The disco did have self levelling suspension but this has been removed by previous owner. The fuse I removed was the 30 amp one from the fusebox in the engine compartment ... the one in the middle row which is marked as ABS on the fusebox cover.
Hope this helps