Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS splice advice.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 11:11 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts
Default ABS splice advice.

My front abs sensors are both showing low voltage and I know why. The new hubs I got had the sensors installed, but the prongs on the connectors would not go in the harness side connectors, so I spliced them but just twisting them together with some spring tubing to keep it all protected.

Apparently that's not good enough.

I'm sure my splice is the issue because I replaced all four hubs and the back ones work fine... The connectors slid together on those. Both of the spliced ones read low voltage and give me the three amigos.

So how do you properly splice them? Or should I run new wires? These are about three months old so I don't want to buy new ones uness I have to.

Old 12-16-2015, 03:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts

While obviously not ideal, I'm surprised twisting the wires is showing low voltage. I would expect an on/off situation if anything.

Properly splicing is soldered and heat shrinked I would say.

Old 12-16-2015, 04:11 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by cappedup
While obviously not ideal, I'm surprised twisting the wires is showing low voltage. I would expect an on/off situation if anything.

Properly splicing is soldered and heat shrinked I would say.
Sorry Capped... I meant shrink tubing. Autocorrect is ruinous.

I do get on off and low voltage. I used marine shrink tubing and wonder whether the melting adhesive has something to do with it. But I twisted them really well--knowing that I should have been soldering. I'll give it a shot.

Old 12-16-2015, 04:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
Sorry Capped... I meant shrink tubing. Autocorrect is ruinous.

I do get on off and low voltage. I used marine shrink tubing and wonder whether the melting adhesive has something to do with it. But I twisted them really well--knowing that I should have been soldering. I'll give it a shot.
It's a good bet. I'd want to have it soldered. It's as good as one wire then and eliminates that.

Old 12-16-2015, 05:52 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Best to use crimp type splices of the appropriate size for the wire gage and use the correct crimp tool. Environmental splices are readily available and best to use particularly in exposed locations. Realize it's only a LR but it does deserve proper treatment and repairs unless just temporary to get home or waiting for parts.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:17 PM
Camel Trophy

Thanks fellas. I have soldered and shrink tubed all of them. If this doesn't work I'll have to run new wires because of the location of the splices. I'll give it a day or two and report back so if someone else has the same problem they'll know what works.

Old 12-17-2015, 01:23 PM
Winching
Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

hey Charile- this is on my list of "better do that soon". did you run the new wire all the way back to the ECU? Also, how do you get to the ABS sensor place at the hub!? I've been scanning articles for weeks and have yet to see a straightforward one on this. Any suggestions?

Old 12-17-2015, 02:28 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by jamestfl
hey Charile- this is on my list of "better do that soon". did you run the new wire all the way back to the ECU? Also, how do you get to the ABS sensor place at the hub!? I've been scanning articles for weeks and have yet to see a straightforward one on this. Any suggestions?
I basically removed my splices and connected to the existing wire in the harness. I had to lengthen it on the passenger side and I just used some plain old automotive wire I had on the garage.

I've replaced sensors two ways... The ones I have now came on the new hubs but in the past I have replaced them by running the connecter through the part where the cv boot is (very difficult because there just isn't enough room) and by pulling the hub/axle out a little the thread it in that same spot. That's the preferred method. Jack up the front (so you can turn the steering to make bolts easy to reach), remove the tire, remove the dust shield, remove the brake caliper, then remove the other bolts (4) that hold the hub on and the steering rod or drag link depending on which side you are on. Then just wiggle the hub out a little bit and you will have room to pass the sensor and wire through.

When you push the hub back in you may have to put something like a hammer handle or screwdriver under the axle to guide the gears at the end in gently if you pulled or out enough for the gears to come out (you'll know if the gear comes out ... It is no big deal). Put it all back together and you are done. Takes maybe 20 minutes per side the second time you do it, and maybe 30 the first time. I'd have your metric sockets available and s rubber mallet, and an Allen wrench set for the bolt on the sensor.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 12-17-2015 at 03:01 PM.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:03 PM
Camel Trophy

I should add... The reason I didn't like messing with the wires with the hub on is that you end up having to pull them. After having splice them twice now I can tell you that the wires are exceedingly thin and fragile. If I ever have to redo them I'll use my own wire.