Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS, Traction Control etc. failure

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 01:15 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS, Traction Control etc. failure

Three of the idiot lights came on simultaneously, ABS, Traction Control,and Hill Descent. The dealer said that one of the valves in the system was probably sticking and that the repair would cost $2500.00 requiring new system hardware. Seems a bit much to me anybody had any experience with this?

In the mean time it drives fine, it's just that ABS Traction Control and Hill Descent appear to be non-functional.

thx.

Satcal0

Old 04-26-2007, 01:30 PM
Rock Crawling
Default RE: ABS, Traction Control etc. failure

I've had this happen not too long ago, pretty common problem I think- and $$$. What you're talking about is most likely the shuttle valve component of the ABS system. Luckily mine was under warranty, but if yours is not I would recommend buying either a new one or used from roverland.com and replacing the ABS module yourself...pretty simple. I've heard of shuttle valve repair kits, but I think replacing the module is the way to go.

Old 04-26-2007, 02:01 PM
7th Gear

yeh, that appears to be the consensus. First stop was wheel speed sensor fault then shuttle valve failure. thx. we've hadthe Disco for 6 years now and have used it to tow our boat back and forth to Maine from Georgia. Very little trouble so far, one towing system wiring harness failure ($340) and it seems to want to go through brake rotors (replaced at 40k mi). But we use it for what we hoped it was made for. Occasional jaunts into the wilderness to get to trailheads and of course gnarly weather in Maine.

Old 04-26-2007, 02:51 PM
Three Wheeling

If you have a wheel sensor along with the shuttle valve fault then your problem is quite possibly NOT related to the shuttle valve. Check and double check your abs sensor wires running to your hubs for cracks, tears, or mis-seated sensors at the hub. I had both codes (well 4 codes, but those two were included) and the only actual fault in the system was a torn abs sensor wire. I soldered in a new section of wire and had the codes cleared = no more lights. Be very wary of the multiple thousand dollar fix as it is rarely the right solution.

Old 04-26-2007, 04:54 PM
Mudding

I got lucky with my 3 amigo lights. My lights were triggered by a squeeky brake pad. The dealer immediately came to the table with a $1800 quote. My Rover guy here in town re-adjusted my brakes, cleared the codes and 3,000 miles later, all is well. So, it can be really simple....CAN BE.

Old 04-26-2007, 05:11 PM
Rock Crawling

Definitely look into those possibilities first. Did you say the TC, ABS are non-functional, or the three amigos are just on but the braking system still works appropriately? I know less about these braking systems than some of these guys that have had Rovers for a while, but when my shuttle valve / ABS modulewent bad it was noticeable. ABS would not work, or kick in at times of light braking...I knew something was up without the three amigos telling me

Old 04-26-2007, 06:37 PM
Three Wheeling

Whether or not ABS functions is completely dependent on the faults. Check out the RAVE manual and it breaks down specifically what will and will not function based upon different faults.

My ABS was non-functional (could lock up my tires or burn rubber handily) due to the codes being thrown by the severed ABS sensor wire.

Old 04-30-2007, 11:04 AM
1st Gear

This happened to me and the garage replaced the Wheel assembly - has been driving okay since.

Old 05-02-2007, 11:44 PM
Overlanding

The same three lights came on in my '02 Disco about a month ago right beforeI had the brakes and rotors replaced, (needless to say they needed it really bad). Its been driving fine since then just I haven't gotten around to getting it fixed. The ABS still works but the Hill Descent won't turn on. Has anyone had it happen and turn out not to be the ABS. I don't know if the brakes caused the lights to come on or not. I defienently don't wont to pay the dealer $150 just to tell me nothings wrong with it. Any help would be great!