Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC Kaputz

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 06:26 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default AC Kaputz

So, I think I already know the answer to this, but given the dramatic way it happened, I thought I'd check with everyone else to be sure I don't overlook something.

I was drove about 4 miles and pulled into a gas station no problem, then as I was leaving, I got about 100 feet and this god-awful sequel/screech starts. not like the belt, LOUD, like a bearing seizing.I'm at a red light, so I shut her down thinking it's my front diff (I need to service the oil.. I know, I know... I'll get it done). The light turns green so I fire her up to just move out of the way, I get about 20 feet over to the shoulder, and it goes away. Along with my AC.

So, I'm guessing my AC bearing seized? I see the whole compressor is $99 at Lucky 8, so that doesn't hurt too bad. I just want to be sure I'm not missing anything/should be checking something else. Seams too good to be true.

Old 07-02-2018, 07:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

You'd think A/C pulley seized. Did anything else go like power steering (if so maybe a tensioner pulley seized instead of A/c)?

Old 07-02-2018, 09:18 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,167 Likes on 842 Posts

Most likely compressor took a dump. When you replace the compressor, you should replace receiver drier and expansion valve, and vacuum system for several hours and check for leaks before refilling (holds vacuum).

Brian.

The following users liked this post:
shanechevelle (07-03-2018)
Old 07-14-2018, 02:13 PM
Mudding

Okay, so I'm finally getting around to this, and thought I'd once again reach out to the more knowledgeable than myself...

I got a good deal on a used AC Compressor, but then got to thinking, maybe I would be lucky for once, and that it could just have been the clutch/pulley bearing? Not sure if that would cause those horrible sounds, but thought it was worth checking out. So, the bearing is definitely shot, as it's pretty much no-longer exists (see pics). Here's my question though (and I think I know the answer), could the compressor crapping out have caused this, or could I be lucky enough that this is simply the issue? In my head, it makes sense that if the compressor seized internally, and the clutch was still engaged, you'd get a burnt-out pulley bearing. BUT, the pulley still spins freely (and with good feel). So, I wouldn't think that'd be the case if anything seized internally, right? Is there a way to confirm if the compressor it'self is still okay without disconnecting it? Basically, I'm hoping to not have to open the system. But I don't want to put the clutch/bearing from the new-used compressor on this one, just to have it burn out again. (plus, if the system is otherwise okay, that would be a huge time saver not having to blow it out/recharge, swap out the condenser and dryer, etc...)

Last edited by nmacej; 07-14-2018 at 02:16 PM.
Old 07-25-2018, 07:57 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by The Deputy
Most likely compressor took a dump. When you replace the compressor, you should replace receiver drier and expansion valve, and vacuum system for several hours and check for leaks before refilling (holds vacuum).

Brian.
Hi Brian:

Just to be clear, should I not bother replacing the condenser as well? I've heard that shrapnel from the compressor can also get caught in the condenser, only to later make it's way to the new compressor, and around and around we go.

Is that just paranoid over-kill?

Nick

Old 07-26-2018, 01:53 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,167 Likes on 842 Posts

Me, l wouldn't bother. There is always that risk, but it is minimal...in my opinion. Just get a quality A/C flush system and do that...install new parts...vacuum down...check for leaks (seeing if it holds a vacuum for a period of time)...refill properly...and you should be good.

Brian.

The following users liked this post:
nmacej (07-30-2018)