Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Additives - snake oil or what?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 05:13 AM
Baja
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts
Default Additives - snake oil or what?

When one walks through the supermarket car section or the motor factors there are rows and rows of additives, magic 'snake oils' to cure everything from coolant leaks to punctures. When one searches the web it's difficult to find any scientific tests or conclusive data to support these claims and their efficacy. Are these just modern 'get the problem sorted in the short term to save maintenance or a real solution' in other words 'snake oil' cures for all ills. I clearly remember when all this started in the 40' to 50's when people filled their cars with petrol and the pump attendant asked the driver whether they wanted one shot or two of Redex. WHF was he asking the driver for, he just drove the damned car. People have been sucked into this 'cure for all ills snake oils' scenario as a cheaper option than sorting out the fundamental reasons for their vehicle problems and in many cases the problem is not resolved only just temporarily abated and the additive is often creating another set of problems elsewhere yet to manifest itself. IMHO they are invariably a waste of time and money.

Old 09-30-2014, 07:34 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree. But, I've been known to purchase a few snake oils for my ride, also. So, who knows.

Old 09-30-2014, 04:31 PM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Most experts say snake oils are a complete waste. As you said, most of them are pitched as a bandaid or to solve a problem that hasn't existed for 30 years.

To me the only legitimate "snake oils" are ones designed to fix a specific problem. For example, adding a lubricity enhancer to get Ultra-low Sulfur diesel fuel up to the High Pressure Fuel Pump manufacturer's spec (VW CR TDIs).

Old 09-30-2014, 06:24 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I do like lucas products, but I'm not sure that really qualifies as snake oil. It just depends on what you're hoping to accomplish. If you're looking to clean/flush something, there are some OK products out there, but a lot of junk. I will admit that I tried a head gasket/block seal can of snake oil an old ford truck....Well it worked. It was small leak and not a blown gasket, but in that case it was either try it or scrap it.

The crap that says it will restore an engine and all that hubajoo is just plain nonsense. You can't fix broken parts with a can of anything.... unless it's a can of dollar bills and/or elbow grease.