Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

advanced auto dexcool guy

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 07:24 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default advanced auto dexcool guy

Can come someone please
explain the benefits of using the green coolant instead of dexcool, and why at 8 am I got in an argument with the advanced auto guy because he said I can't use the green coolant in my disco and that I could only put dexcool in it.
Long story short he told me to put whatever I want in it and hung up on me, lol...really advanced auto guy I just wanted to get the price of another part and happen to ask if you stock the green coolant.

Last edited by jhill15; 01-15-2013 at 07:26 AM.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

See Dexcool Pictures

The auto parts clerk was doing his job. His company wants him to sell a certain range of products. They want him to obey the computer, because those who load the information know more that the front line customer service people. Large companies sometimes promote management styles that stiffle independent initiative.

So that counter guy may live to annoy others. He may have been cut off by telephone technical problems.

You are also doing a good job in researching things, there are usually two sides to a story. The Dexcool product works great in an air conditioned lab somewhere. Not so much in the real world.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:13 AM
Rock Crawling

Thank you savannah and your right. The auto guy is just doing his job and I probably jumped the gun to get irritated at him.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator

No, you exceeded his customer service skills training. And to be fair, there are a lot of counter guys in parts stores that are sharp.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:13 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Well, if you mix green with dexcool, you will regret it. IF you CONVERT to green, you must flush the ever loving **** out of the car beforehand. Dexcool DOES NOT MIX with green. THATS where you get 90% of your problems, it turns into mud basically. That goes for any car that uses it. I doubt that unless he owned a Disco himself, he wouldn't be aware that its a common belief that dexcool is a major contributor to early headgasket failure...nor that some owners choose to convert back to green. Thats still on the fence, but mixing dex n conventional is generally universally known to cause problems in any application. IMO dex is a contributor, but not the main factor. Its an old engine, underpowered to run a 4x4 system let alone on a 5k+lbs platform, and usually driven by people that dont know/care about what or how they drive thier cars, keep them until they wear out from lack of use, then hand them down... going 80 on a the parkway every day, flooring it for performance because it says V8 on the back of it, and assuming it needs little maintainance since its a rugged offroader platform tank to begin with.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:16 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

dont use just any color coolant. use a universal coolant like Peak Universal. Then if you get into a bind on a trail and you dont have any you can borrow anything from anyone and your cooling system wont turn to sludge.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:21 AM
Recovery Vehicle

ps. I switched to amsoil synthetic, its expensive and not in stores but it doesnt turn to **** with dex, and i ended up replacing the waterpump, thermo and upper hose anyway when that stupid plasic bleeder popped on me one day!!

Old 01-15-2013, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

I must "bear" witness to his post, it is important to flush out the Dex before introducing many other coolants, and certainly that is how some Dex problems get speeded up. Here is a TSB from GM about how to remove the contaminated coolant, just skip the steps about putting more Dex back in.

So maybe that parts guy was just trying to keep you out of trouble, he may not have known why; or he may be prevented from telling the whole story.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
dexcool flush[1].pdf (116.4 KB, 130 views)
Old 01-15-2013, 12:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

On the other side, maintained dex-cool is not a problem and you dont have to mess about with trying to flush all the dex out. I replaced my original radiator at 110k miles, with it having used dex cool its whole life I expected to find a sludged up radiator. I busted off the end caps and took a look inside only to find no sludge, a little scale but, no sludge and certainly nothing near stopping up.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle

yep... thats why i dont buy much into the sludge in my motor posts... i'm bettin almost all of them are because they, or a previous owner, topped up within somethin... or ran low and cooked it up nice and good before refilling hoping the cause for the leak dissapeared by itself haha

Quick Reply: advanced auto dexcool guy