Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice Needed - Moving Company Dropped My Engine!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 01:48 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice Needed - Moving Company Dropped My Engine!

OK, so here's the background. My '03 engine has a terrible knock, so I picked up a good '04 engine from a vehicle being parted. I am relocating to another city and the moving company agreed to move the spare engine. While unloading the engine from the back of the semi, it was dropped and fell to the ground. I wasn't there when it happened, so I didn't see it. However, my wife was there and saw the front of the engine hit the ground as it fell. The crankshaft pully has a missing chunk and the oil filter was bent. There may be other external damage, but those were the most obvious.

The moving company agreed to have the motor inspected. They told me it was going to the Land Rover dealership, but it was instead sent to an engine shop. I called the shop to see what they were planning to do, and they said all that was being done was removal of the pulley and placement of a dial indicator on the crankshaft snout to see if the shaft it bent. I don't think this is sufficient. I think the engine needs a thorough inspection, including the oil pan and timing cover. I also think this should be done at a dealership, not a shop that I have no idea about (nor know its relationship to the moving company).

What are your thoughts and suggestions on what I should expect the moving company to do and what should really be inspected?

Old 07-01-2010, 02:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default that sucks

Sorry to here that... I would trust a engine shop before i would trust the dealer. Hell, the LR factory made the engine to begin with and it is a POS.....Dont think you are out of the woods yet .....my 2004 dII se7 grenaded yesterday...oil pump...oil light...booooom.....

Old 07-01-2010, 02:11 PM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Definitely check the front cover as well, the oil filter took a hit and who knows what happened after that. Maybe get a second opinion from a dealer once they are done at the shop and compare notes. The moving company's insurance should take care of it, but remember they are going to try and cut their losses.

Old 07-01-2010, 02:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default also

The other part that sucks is it was a salavage engine...they will replace if they have to with another salavage engine.....

Old 07-02-2010, 06:19 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

As a tech I would send it to the engine shop to have the thing completely tested. although turning it does help. I would put a new timing cover on it just to be safe.

Old 07-02-2010, 12:43 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with everyone sentiments above. This issue is that the moving company is the one directing the engine shop's inspection, not me. To my knowledge, the ONLY thing he is checking for now is the crank (with a dial indicator). This is going to be a challenge....

Old 07-02-2010, 12:57 PM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's YOUR engine, take control.