Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After 2 months of ownership, my Landie is dead

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 02:48 PM
Mudding
Received 71 Likes on 42 Posts
Default After 2 months of ownership, my Landie is dead

I'm not expecting any sympathy, but I wanted to share my story if it helps someone else diagnose an issue in the future. Please share any input if you have it.

So, after 275 miles of driving I got a CEL; Misfire cylinders 3 and 5.

Took it to my mechanic...sure enough, blown head gasket.

He removed the heads, and found that the engine was "time sert"-ed or "helicoiled"....the bolt holes for the cylinder heads had been machined out and replaced w/ threaded inserts. One of the serts looked suspicious (not as deep in the block as the rest), but when we tested it, it appeared to be holding OK.

Put it all back together, and man she runs strong. good compression, etc, etc, etc. However, on the freeway, under heavy load at high speed, the engine will misfire, cylinder 3 and 5. This is exactly where the head gasket went before, and exactly where the suspect sert is.

We tried new air sensors, crank sensors, entire ignition system, checked the cats, etc, and have the same symptoms.

So...It just passed smog, and I can drive around under 70mph at low load w/ no CEL. Theoretically I can keep driving it.

However, it seems that it will likely soon blow another head gasket in the same place. Maybe I'll make it a couple of years, but I doubt it.

I'm not going to be dishonest and sell it to someone...but perhaps someone on here, knowing this issue, would want it for something? If so, reach out. The truck is incredibly clean.

Otherwise, it seems my Land Rover ownership experience is over after 2 months. I'll go trade it in on something for peanuts.

Old 10-13-2017, 02:55 PM
Received 1,133 Likes on 782 Posts

Could you not replace the bolts with studs to correct the problem ?

You could adjust the stud length so it seats correctly, after that it will never come out again and the bolts will be able to seated and torqued correctly.

Someone more knowledgeable hopefully can comment - but it seems to me to worth a try.

Old 10-13-2017, 03:02 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Inspect the block closely where the inserts were installed and check for cracks. Sorry to hear the issue and good luck. And if you want to sell it as a project: please give us some info such as location and vehicle specifics.

Old 10-13-2017, 03:03 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Richard Gallant
Could you not replace the bolts with studs to correct the problem ?

You could adjust the stud length so it seats correctly, after that it will never come out again and the bolts will be able to seated and torqued correctly.

Someone more knowledgeable hopefully can comment - but it seems to me to worth a try.

The truck had studs when the gasket blew.

The issue doesn't appear to be with the bolts, but that the SERT itself is not properly installed. Regardless of how "tight" you install the bolt, the sert itself "moves" under load at high temperature.

Old 10-13-2017, 03:04 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by alpinacsi
Inspect the block closely where the inserts were installed and check for cracks. Sorry to hear the issue and good luck. And if you want to sell it as a project: please give us some info such as location and vehicle specifics.

No cracks, we inspected that a lot. I worry about long term cracking for sure, though.

The truck is an '03, Zambezi silver over black...interior is in FANTASTIC condiditon as is most of the exterior. Front bumper cracked and I repaired it myself, and the drivers door has a couple of dings.

Steel rear bumper, brand new tires, brakes just done, etc etc. I'm in San Diego CA

Old 10-13-2017, 03:17 PM
Received 1,133 Likes on 782 Posts

Originally Posted by ElVerde
The truck had studs when the gasket blew.

The issue doesn't appear to be with the bolts, but that the SERT itself is not properly installed. Regardless of how "tight" you install the bolt, the sert itself "moves" under load at high temperature.
Man that sucks - I have no idea how possible it is to pull the insert and fix it's issue. I know you can pull them, I am just not sure if the problem you are having can be fixed.

Old 10-13-2017, 03:21 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Richard Gallant
Man that sucks - I have no idea how possible it is to pull the insert and fix it's issue. I know you can pull them, I am just not sure if the problem you are having can be fixed.

That's my thought....I'm not thinking the right move is to pay another 2-3k to pull the heads and hope it's fixable. my hunch is that it's not, and I'm not thinking rolling the dice is worth it.

Old 10-13-2017, 04:57 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 943 Likes on 634 Posts

2-3k to pull the heads?! That's insane! Three years ago I paid 2500 for head gaskets, new valves, new Kent Cam, Rhoads lifters,; all the goodies, parts and labor both. For simply pulling the heads you should be looking at $1000. You shouldn't even have to deck the heads again since they're freshly machined.

Old 10-13-2017, 05:05 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Alex_M
2-3k to pull the heads?! That's insane! Three years ago I paid 2500 for head gaskets, new valves, new Kent Cam, Rhoads lifters,; all the goodies, parts and labor both. For simply pulling the heads you should be looking at $1000. You shouldn't even have to deck the heads again since they're freshly machined.

Well sure, you're right. I paid 3k for the heads to be machined, gaskets, etc etc etc. I'm sure this would be less.

I still think it's an expensive gamble unlikely to change the outcome.

Old 10-13-2017, 05:43 PM
TReK
Received 480 Likes on 403 Posts

Could you buy a junk LR and/or engine?
Re-do the bottom end, and put your heads and accessories on it? Can you not do the work yourself?
I know it's hard to justify putting money in these things.
I'm way over my budget on my 04, with a ways to go.
But, I'm in too deep to give it away, and, for whatever reason, I like the thing.
I feel your pain.

Quick Reply: After 2 months of ownership, my Landie is dead