Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After 94,000 finally got the dreaded 3 amigos

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 10:31 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question After 94,000 finally got the dreaded 3 amigos

Well, I have finally got the three amigos. I checked out the sticky for the fix. Was originally thinking I was going to have to do the whole tear down of the modulator to do the fix. But took the truck down the road to the side of the orchard. Got up some speed and hit the brakes hard. The ABS worked except my right front tire would lock up every time. So now I'm thinking I just need to replace the speed sensor in that wheel and problem should be solved.
So I'm hoping to get some feedback from everybody that I am on the right track. Also if I take off hard on the gas the TC kicks in but the right front spins out every time. Feedback would be helpful so I can order the front sensor and fix it this week. Thanks for any help.
-Cliff

Old 10-10-2010, 01:15 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Do yourself a favor and don't guess, you won't be right.
Have your brakes been squeaking, are the 3 Amigos on full time and when was the last time you did a full 2 quart DOT 4 brake flush?

Old 10-10-2010, 05:12 PM
Three Wheeling

Mike I put all new brakes and rotors on about 9 months ago. At that time I replaced all of the brake fluid in the entire system. Used synthetic. Put on all slotted cross drilled rotors and ceramic brakes. Yesterday the ABS light came on by itself. Then about 10 miles down the road the TC light came on. I carry my OBD 2 reader with me so I checked it and it was the P1590 code rough road signal. I erased it and when I pulled out on the gravel the TC kicked in and both lights then went out. Drove about 2 miles then got all 3 and they have stayed on. I just drove it again today and the lights stayed on and checked the code again and same P1590 code is back on. And all 3 lights still lit full time.

Old 10-10-2010, 06:45 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

your obd2 doesnt read ABS codes. you need to get the ABS codes read so you can figure out what is wrong with the ABS systmem

Old 10-10-2010, 08:23 PM
Three Wheeling

I know I was thinking the same thing afterward. But it does keep giving me the same rough road code. So is a trip to the dealer in order for the ABS reads or can any shop do that? My best guess is that it is the speed sensor for the right front. But, it is a guess after all. What is the going rate to get the abs system checked. Because I am trying my best to avoid paying those STUPID HIGH prices that Rover charges. I am perfectly capable of fixing any problem mechanically up to and including installing a new engine thats why I don't want to have to go to the dealer if I don't have to. I can pick up a speed sensor for 120 bucks. So then its just a matter of my time. Which looking at it should not take too long. The fluid is basically brand new and actually was the second time I changed the brake fluid. When I bought the truck I was not sure if 60,000 mile service had been done and truck had 63,000 on it. So I got Mike's list and replaced every fluid in the truck with synthetic.That was in '07. Then when I put the new brake system in this year I replaced all of the fluid again. Besides a Power Steering pump this thing has been maintenance free as far as parts breaking.

Old 10-10-2010, 08:39 PM
Winching
Default ABS Amigo

Seaosrover...check this out; ABS Amigo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPTg1GIkryc

I'm pretty sure you can even rent the device from someone on this forum! (Here is a good thread: https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ighlight=Amigo)

Try a search for "ABS Amigo rent"

Last edited by mwindth; 10-10-2010 at 09:04 PM. Reason: added link to a related thread
Old 10-10-2010, 09:19 PM
Three Wheeling

I would gladly rent one from somebody!! Thank you so much for that post!! So if anyone has one for rent please give me some contact info and how to get this transaction done.
I will also do a search for ABS amigo rent in the meantime.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:51 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

where is Bridgeton? i have one that I rent out to club members. or if you are close enough you can meet me and ill read it for you.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:31 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

So, you are telling me your brakes have not squeaked since their replacement? If that is the case, my money is on the module failing, might want to read Josh's sticky at the top of this section cause when it either looses it's ground or is starting to leak at the valves, the light will come and go for a little while before setting a hard code.
Don't worry about the 1590 code, it will go away once the repairs are made.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:01 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

You can rent mine for $25. PayPal is easiest. Just pay for the ABS Amigo $169. What I paid. Total Due $196. Keep it for 30 days or how long you need it. Let me know you are sending it back and I will refund you $169 through PayPal when I receive it back. PM me and I will send you my PayPal email address. Also I will include the USB cable since it is the less common type.

Here is my selling reputation on eBay... I'm an honest guy

http://stores.ebay.com/Mountain-Bike...r-Parts?_rdc=1

Quick Reply: After 94,000 finally got the dreaded 3 amigos