Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Cd deck to replace my Nav deck?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 08:44 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Cd deck to replace my Nav deck?

Looking for a plug and play deck to replace my nav deck in an 04 HSE7. I want all my original controls to work as well, ( steering wheel controls, Rear seat controls, cd-changer ). I don't want to cut into any harnesses or anything just plug it in. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:57 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by toad2
Looking for a plug and play deck to replace my nav deck in an 04 HSE7. I want all my original controls to work as well, ( steering wheel controls, Rear seat controls, cd-changer ). I don't want to cut into any harnesses or anything just plug it in. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
buy a used Nav head unit off ebay, plug, call dealer give them radio serial number, enter code, and play...

other than that your going to spend a good amount of money on an aftermarket unit and spend more getting all your controls to work...

2002 - 2004 LAND ROVER DISCOVERY II OEM RADIO HEAD UNIT ( AUDIO NAVIGATION TYPE) | eBay

Problem Solved!

Old 06-30-2012, 05:56 AM
Rock Crawling

I did that mod on my d2. I went with a double din in dash nav unit from pioneer. It was a lot of work fitting the double din, but I don't like the pop out units. The steering wheel controls still work fine. I used the stock amp and the radio was plug and play. The steering wheel controls required a different device, but that was plug and play also. Easy job unless you go with the double din radio.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:42 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by wilson96rr
I did that mod on my d2. I went with a double din in dash nav unit from pioneer. It was a lot of work fitting the double din, but I don't like the pop out units. The steering wheel controls still work fine. I used the stock amp and the radio was plug and play. The steering wheel controls required a different device, but that was plug and play also. Easy job unless you go with the double din radio.
Did the cd-changer and the rear seat controls still work?
You said you used a double din in dash, then at the end you said easy job unless you go with a double din ? Kinda losing me there Wilson, although I am not the sharpest lol.

Old 06-30-2012, 09:18 PM
Rock Crawling

Let me clarify things. The cd changer no longer works but the unit I installed already has a cd player. The rear seat controls also don't work but they were never used anyway. I installed a double din unit and it was a PITA to install. What I meant was that the electrical part of the job was very simple, but the process of installing a double din radio where a single din used to be was tough. So, if you went with a single din with a pop up screen, it would be a pretty simple job. The thing I like about the double din unit is that it looks stock. It has satnav, xm, cd, bluetooth, and ipod. Very user friendly even for someone like me who isn't real techy.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:03 AM
Rock Crawling

Thanks for the info Wilson. Looks like I will be staying with the stock setup, I guess.
Doesn't look like there are a lot of options out there.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:28 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by toad2
Thanks for the info Wilson. Looks like I will be staying with the stock setup, I guess.
Doesn't look like there are a lot of options out there.
There are options out there, anything is possible but it boils down to what your willing to spend in comparison to your factory head unit.

There are many aftermarket options out there in single DIN that can meet what your wanting. However, keeping the steering wheel controls is not an easy task. I have heard people say there are plug and play adapters, but I have never seen a Discovery or Land Rover in general product that is plug and play steering wheel controls.

They do make universal units that will allow your steering wheel controls to work, but they are NOT plug and play from what I have seen. I have been out of the everyday car audio business for about a year, but lots can change in a year and they might be plug and play now...

If you're happy with the sound quality in the factory unit, then replace it with a used factory unit...if the factory unit is broken..

Old 07-01-2012, 12:36 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

@ long duck dong

I just installed a Metra Axxess ASWC in my Rover about a week and a half ago. While not plug and play, it was literally a 15 minute job. Connect power to aux power, connect ground wire, and connect one wire to the aftermarket head unit. Literally three wires. It auto detected the vehicle and aftermarket stereo and was working perfect. All the techies at Best Buy tried to tell me exactly what you're saying, it's so hard and blah blah blah. It was way simpler than installing a deck. So if you feel technical enough to do a deck install, you can do the steering wheel controls super easy. I even manually programmed mine and it was a breeze... Not sure why everyone thinks these are so hard

Old 07-01-2012, 06:56 PM
Rock Crawling

I agree. the steering wheel controls were a no-brainer, and I had never hooked up steering wheel controls before.