Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket MAF

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 12:16 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Aftermarket MAF

I forgot to put a post up about this. I installed the aftermarket MAF sensor in my truck yesterday (per popular request). I didn't reset the adaptations for the ECU (I don't have the equipment to do it anyway), so we'll see what happens with it.

Since the ECU does compensate for MAF problems by adjusting the air/fuel mixture over time, it is common to have a MAF error come up or a rough idle when you swap out any MAF (EOM or not), so I'll post it if I do get an MAF related error, but I will let it ride out to see if the ECU adjusts for the new flow input.

Now we can have a little empirical evidence (even if it is just a single subject) related to the idea that aftermarket MAF sensors simply will not work with the Land Rover Discovery.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:19 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Why, with all the posted information on many different forums are you wasting your time doing this? What was the actual fault code that led you to believe that you need one and exactly what aftermarket MAF did you install?

Old 04-27-2012, 02:21 PM
Mudding

There was no fault code. It's simply to see if an aftermarket MAF with work or not. As far as time, it takes me longer to take a dump in the morning than it does to change out an MAF sensor. I can't say exactly what aftermarket sensor, but it's not a Bosch. I guess I would have to find the paperwork for it. I just had one laying around.

Just so you know, people can say what they want. I don't take much of anyone's word for anything unless I can duplicate the results.

Other people showed interest in the whole aftermarket MAF debate, so I'm putting it to the test. Now we'll see what happens (or at least I will). My money is on it working with no problem. So far so good.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

I don't take much of anyone's word for anything unless I can duplicate the results.

If only your opinion and experience counts, why even log on to any forum where there is an interchange of ideas? Why read a shop manual? Why watch a training video? If you only learn from one source, you only know what one person knows.

This is not peer-reviewed research where you have to prove your equations and the Nobel Prize or a big DARPA grant is on the line. It is a group of people that are interested in a particular vehicle. Between all of us, there is a lot of horse power and a little horse poop thrown in. If Spike tells me my radiator will overheat if I have the fan on backwards I don't run out and try that. I just mark "front" when I remove it.

A wise man learns from his own mistakes. A brilliant man learns from the mistakes of others.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:51 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

what do you mean by aftermarket? a Bosch VW MAF will work although it will have to be spliced in because of the different connector. I have the part # written down somewhere.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
If only your opinion and experience counts, why even log on to any forum where there is an interchange of ideas? Why read a shop manual? Why watch a training video? If you only learn from one source, you only know what one person knows.
I'm very likely to listen to the opinions of other before I start working on something I've not touched before, but it seems that in Land Rover forums (not just this site) there is a lot of rumors that fly around that just don't sound quite right, and sometimes eventually they prove to be wrong.

A good example is D1 and D2 off road bumpers. There are plenty of post with people saying the frame widths are different and stuff, but then I guess someone tried it, and there are a few people who have made it work.

Also D2 3rd row seats. Plenty of posts saying you cannot add them. Then someone did.

I for one am pretty excited to see how this works out... because you can get an aftermarket MAF from rovahfarm for a 4.6 D2 for $99 when a bosch one from bputah costs $200.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:11 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jafir
A good example is D1 and D2 off road bumpers. There are plenty of post with people saying the frame widths are different and stuff, but then I guess someone tried it, and there are a few people who have made it work.
i proved that one wrong with my D1 ARB on my D2, then again with my D2 brush guard on Rangie Classic

D2 will fit on a D1 easy. D1 on a D2 just needs 2 quick cuts to the bumper mounting bracket to make it fit.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:25 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
I don't take much of anyone's word for anything unless I can duplicate the results.

This is not peer-reviewed research where you have to prove your equations and the Nobel Prize or a big DARPA grant is on the line. It is a group of people that are interested in a particular vehicle. Between all of us, there is a lot of horse power and a little horse poop thrown in. If Spike tells me my radiator will overheat if I have the fan on backwards I don't run out and try that. I just mark "front" when I remove it.

A wise man learns from his own mistakes. A brilliant man learns from the mistakes of others.
Why log on to a forum where there is an interchange of ideas? To get other people's ideas, as well as to share my own. Not expect people to take what I say gospel, and not to take what anyone else says as gospel, but simply to get the idea and see if it works. I'm thinking about doing an audio system in my D2, and I'll likely ask some questions of people here since I've never done audio work before. It doesn't mean I'm going to do what everyone suggests.

Why read a shop manual, because they are written by the people that designed the cars. If the shop manual says they use proprietary components in something they build, I'm still going to look and see if there isn't someone else that doesn't do the same thing. Take Testbook for example. Land Rover will tell you only Testbook can be used to make ECU changes, but there are other systems out there that can do it also.

No, this isn't peer reviewed research, at least not in the formal sense. If someone comes on here and says, 'hey, all of our alternators should be putting out at least 14 volts under a full load at idle', at least some of us are likely to go out to our cars and put that to the test. Just like in academia, not every researcher will put a theory to the test, but some will.

If you're not the type of person to put a theory to the test because it doesn't make sense to you, that's fine. Nothing wrong with that. I am a researcher in all reality (my highest degree is a research degree), so I am the type of person that will put a theory to the test. I'm not going to pull my engine apart specifically so I can see if using a particular type of oil really is causing buildup around my piston rings, but I will take three minutes out of my time to change an MAF sensor.

I really don't understand why all the concern exists about my wanting to change out a sensor in my car. If I decide to weld wings to my car doors to see if it can fly really shouldn't be of any consequence to anyone. What's the worse that'll happen? My car will blow up with me in it? It's not that major.

There were differences in opinion on the subject. A couple people wanted to find out if it was true or not. I took it upon myself to try it out. If that's really a problem, I don't know what to say. I'm not going to go change it back because someone has a problem understanding my rationale.

It is true, a wise man does learn from his mistakes. A brilliant man does learn from the mistakes of others. But a free man is able to decide which road he wants to take.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:30 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Discovery SE7
It is true, a wise man does learn from his mistakes. A brilliant man does learn from the mistakes of others. But a free man is able to decide which road he wants to take.
Really well said. Can I steal that quote? That belongs on a T-shirt or something.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Well stated defense. We await your results. For the unknown brand of sensor. But I would agree with Mike to a point. There is a higher failure rate with the aftermarket parts, and while that is not "all", I suspect Mike is just trying to prod people to the most reliable outcome.

And while 14 volts may not be reached at idle, 12.62345 volts won't be enough keep things working well. The battery builders seem to think the same as well.

Which research field?

Quick Reply: Aftermarket MAF