Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket MAF

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 04:10 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Well stated defense. We await your results. For the unknown brand of sensor. But I would agree with Mike to a point. There is a higher failure rate with the aftermarket parts, and while that is not "all", I suspect Mike is just trying to prod people to the most reliable outcome.

And while 14 volts may not be reached at idle, 12.62345 volts won't be enough keep things working well. The battery builders seem to think the same as well.

Which research field?
Thanks. I believe it was him that told me that I was wrong under no uncertain terms about a non-OEM MAF sensor not working in the Discovery. But it wasn't just that, it just seems like something that is hotly disputed. So I put myself and my truck out there to be the guinea pig.

I understand that 12.6 volts wouldn't be enough to charge the system. The battery should be holding a little more than that when the car is off. There should be about 13.5 volts (give or take) when the car is idling.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:42 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default I'm glad to see this done as well

I have a healthy respect for the experience of others and the opinions posted on this forum. That said, there are sometimes posts which suggest that there is only one correct solution, part, etc., and the individuals posting this can be downright mean or self-righteous in defending their statements.

i remember reading many times that attempting to clean a MAF sensor would certainly destroy it, then the other day one or two individuals who have made this statement repeatedly changed their position on the matter. I think this was a motivating factor in this current science experiment...

Old 04-27-2012, 04:47 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by DonRW2007
I have a healthy respect for the experience of others and the opinions posted on this forum. That said, there are sometimes posts which suggest that there is only one correct solution, part, etc., and the individuals posting this can be downright mean or self-righteous in defending their statements.

i remember reading many times that attempting to clean a MAF sensor would certainly destroy it, then the other day one or two individuals who have made this statement repeatedly changed their position on the matter. I think this was a motivating factor in this current science experiment...
That little debate was one of the motivations for it. I would just like to see what happens and let everyone know how it goes.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:48 PM
Mudding

Clean it with soap and water, sure. But that's why they make MAF cleaner.

Old 12-05-2013, 01:04 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well this forum kind of died off... I am guessing that it didn't work out so well? I cleaned my MAF a week or two ago and apparently killed it. When I looked at the price it was around $500 for a new one. I decided to get one from BuyAutoParts.com for $100. My truck is still running like crap. So either the MAF I bought is crap or it needs more time to reset the ECU. I'm leaning toward the aftermarket MAF being crap.

Old 12-05-2013, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Cleaning a MAF won't kill it. Unless you clean it while it's hot inside the sensor.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:38 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 131 Likes on 63 Posts

Shameless plug....

I have an almost-new OEM MAF for sale in the For Sale section

PM me if interested!

RedAustinIX

Old 12-06-2013, 04:35 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
I don't take much of anyone's word for anything unless I can duplicate the results.

If only your opinion and experience counts, why even log on to any forum where there is an interchange of ideas? Why read a shop manual? Why watch a training video? If you only learn from one source, you only know what one person knows.

This is not peer-reviewed research where you have to prove your equations and the Nobel Prize or a big DARPA grant is on the line. It is a group of people that are interested in a particular vehicle. Between all of us, there is a lot of horse power and a little horse poop thrown in. If Spike tells me my radiator will overheat if I have the fan on backwards I don't run out and try that. I just mark "front" when I remove it.

A wise man learns from his own mistakes. A brilliant man learns from the mistakes of others.
Excellent - I couldn't agree more with your sentiments.

I have to agree totally, there is an awful lot of horsepower collectively and helpful guys who I've benefited from.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:09 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

I have to admit I have changed the MAF on two D2's in the past. One on a V8 4.0 and one on a TD5. In both cases I have used the OEM LR replacement based upon advice and haven't entertained spurious after market parts as they are not that financially attractive to warrant the risk. There are parts in the after market place that are excellent and as good as LR spares but rarely are these electronics which I was warned off of by two knowledgeable guys, one who owns a VAG dealership and another who is an indie LR workshop owner. Mechanical parts are one thing and there are many good parts, typically Brembo and TRW brake discs and pads, but electronics are another ball game which the average person cannot judge the provenance or quality of.