Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Starter Fun

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 10:08 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Aftermarket Starter Fun

About 1 1/2 years ago, my '04 D2 began having problems starting. When you turned the key, nothing would happen. Then later when you tried to start it the engine would fire right up. I checked all the wires, tested the battery, etc. but found nothing so I had to wait until it failed to start again. The next time it did it, I was able to get the starter to turn by hitting it with a hammer. Of course it was at 7:30 on a Friday night, so I grabbed a starter from AZ for $91 and put it in. Everything worked fine until yesterday when I got a call from my wife who had the truck and my 2 kids on a little trip about 8 hours from home in Canada. "It won't start." "No problem, just get out the lug wrench, crawl under the car and hit the starter. Can't miss it, it's on the passenger side of the engine right where the transmission bolts on." "I see a rusty metal pipe, is it near that?" Oh boy. Ever try to describe a starter and where to find it to someone that isn't sure where the engine ends and the transmission starts? She actually did find it and got it to spin after one good whack. She called again this morning from a Friendly's parking lot to let me know she had to do it again. Another budding mechanic thanks to the magic of Land Rover! By the way, the starter is covered under a lifetime warranty. Very useful when it only lasts 25,000 miles. I guess I should have stuck with my initial plan of using the AZ one to get the truck running while I waited for a real starter to be delivered.

Old 04-23-2014, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,505 Likes on 1,232 Posts

I just pick up used ones the last a long damn time lol

Old 04-23-2014, 07:05 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Could be the starter relay or starter solenoid. It can also be bad earth connections or the spade connection on the starter solenoid. Unfortunately without a multimeter checkout it's a difficult one to nail.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:17 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still have a starter from AB for you, if you need one. $100, new, original packing.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/pr...r-parts-65606/

Last edited by d7sec; 04-23-2014 at 07:25 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:49 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I just installed another one from AZ that I got under warranty. The spade connection and main cable were very tight and clean, and the earths were good also. My guess is it's just a crappy rebuild despite being "triple checked." Funny thing is, my wife wasn't too concerned about me fixing it right away. "It's no problem now that I know what to do" she said. I think she's discovering the true joys of Rover ownership!

Old 04-24-2014, 04:59 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by 04duxlr
I just installed another one from AZ that I got under warranty. The spade connection and main cable were very tight and clean, and the earths were good also. My guess is it's just a crappy rebuild despite being "triple checked." Funny thing is, my wife wasn't too concerned about me fixing it right away. "It's no problem now that I know what to do" she said. I think she's discovering the true joys of Rover ownership!
Sympathies, I'm going to tear out my Pajero starter today.........**** job.............bad access to bolts underneath (knuckle smasher).

I have the same issues............intermittent starting..................all the right 'clicks' seem to happen..................but often no action.................could be starter solenoid electrical contacts, motor brushes, or bad earth's somewhere. A real PITA.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:56 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 04duxlr
8 hours from home in Canada.
I get a bit nervous just driving mine over an hour from home!

Dave