Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All sorts of coolant woes......

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 03:40 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: All sorts of coolant woes......

ORIGINAL: Goose2549

Spike... excuse my ignorance, I'm not a spannerhead by any stretch. Is there more than the one bleed screw on top of the radiator top hose? If there are I'm not seeing them..... this is a 1999 series II. With the engine cold Coolant spurts out of the blled crew hold on the radiator top hose, should I let it bleed and the pressure escape before running the engine?
There is only one on my 03 DII. When coolant starts pouring out of the hole, screw it.

Old 10-02-2008, 05:55 PM
Overlanding

This continues to drive me crazy...... I've tried a couple of different ways to bleed the air out 1) engine cold, on incline, lifting expansion tank and filling and 2) engine cold, expansion tank cap off engine idle with heaters on max heat low fan. No success with either.

The sloshing sound is now pretty constant and more pronouced when accelerating and cornering.

When the engine is cold the coolant is not even visible in the expansion tank, when I open it to top up pressure is released and the level comes up to the cold level. This seems to indicate that ther's a whole pile of air in the system sucking the coolant down as it cools?

Any other ideas to fix this sloshing noise? It's so bad the wife won't drive it and it's her car..... that's a bad thing!

Old 10-02-2008, 06:43 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You have a leak. If the coolant is full in the moring and then low by the afternoon you have a leak. Take it to a shop.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:35 PM
Overlanding

ORIGINAL: Spike555
You have a leak. If the coolant is full in the moring and then low by the afternoon you have a leak. Take it to a shop.
It's actually the opposite that's happening. The level is down in the expansion tank when the engine is cold but the level comes back up when I release the cap to to fill it. Won't that be trapped air contracting as the coolant cools?

Pretty sure there no leak, pressure test is good, just had the head gasket replaced, oil is clean, no smoke or coolant smell in the exhaust. Just can't clear the damn air lock.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:42 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Are you opening the cap when the engine is hot? If so stop it. That is your problem, everytime you open the system while hot you are letting air in.
The system is under pressure. It is supposed to make that excaping air noise when you open the cap when it is hot. Open it after it has sat all night and it wont do it.
There was another guy who had the same problem, properly bled the system and stopped opening the cap when hot and the problem went away.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:08 PM
Overlanding

ORIGINAL: Spike555
It is supposed to make that excaping air noise when you open the cap when it is hot. Open it after it has sat all night and it wont do it.
Thanks for the input again Spike, what you describe is my problem...... the opposite is happening!! I open the cap when it's cold in the morning because the level is down, as in none visible, the pressure is released and the level comes up to normal.... so nothing to top up. That's got to be caused by a great big airlock no?

Old 10-02-2008, 09:20 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

stupid question time again : my 2000 disco II doesnt have a radiator cap - just the res/overflow bottle. so what gives?
and i can only find the one screw type bleed valve ( on top of the radiator hose - front row center)

i too am fighting the sloshing/bubbling sound (along with some weird error codes and some over heating/ where-did-it-go coolant issues)

pilsner
2000 disco II with 133k and counting
ft lewis WA

Old 10-02-2008, 10:05 PM
Rock Crawling

I looked in my factory service manual its says,

1) release top hose from lugs on fan shroud, leaving hose to rest on lugs.
2)Remove bleed screw from top hose
3)Unclip the bleed hose from battery box
4)Remove expansion tank from its mounting bracket, slowly fill the expansion tank with coolant
5)Raise expansion tank approx. 8 inches
6)refill expansion tank until a steady flow of coolant is emitting from bleed hole.
7)fit the bleed screw then, with the expansion tank still raised continue filling the expansion tank untill the coolant level reaches the base of the expansion filler neck.
8)Fit the expansion tank filler cap, fit the expansion tank to its mountings and clip the bleed hose to the battery box
9)refit top hose into its lugs
10)start and run engine until normal operating temperature is reached, then check for leaks
11)switch off engine, allow to cool
12)Check for leaks and top up coolant to cold level marked on expansion tank.

Could a bad thermostat cause this, maybe its sticking.

Willie