Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alpine CDE-136BT

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 12:45 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Alpine CDE-136BT

Hello

I want to replace the factory stereo on my '03 D2. Don't get me wrong, nothing is wrong with it and I've read several posts in the forum on why should we replace it since the the unit sounds pretty good.

That's another topic for discussion but I want to get features like Pandora, Bluetooth, AUX input, iPhone/Android integration, USB, etc. which the factory unit cannot provide.

I've asked reputable car installer shops and they recommend an Alpine CDE-136BT which will be $500 USD installed, including a SWI (steering wheel interface) module which will preserve the factory steering wheel controls.

Question to the forum: There are two antenna inputs on the factory radio - what are they for? The new radio only has one antenna jack. Which antenna from the factory unit should I use? What will I give up if I convert to the new unit?

I've heard of a store called Metra that sells harnesses to adapt new radios to factory units with no re-wiring. Is this true? Is this a DIY (Do-It-Yourself) job or am I better off sucking up the $500 to get a professional job?

Many thanks!

Al
2003 Discovery 86,000mi

Last edited by aguison; 09-16-2012 at 03:56 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:47 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aguison
Hello

I want to replace the factory stereo on my '03 D2. Don't get me wrong, nothing is wrong with it and I've read several posts in the forum on why replace it since the the unit sounds pretty good.

That's another topic for discussion but I want to get features like Pandora, Bluetooth, AUX input, iPhone/Android integration, USB, etc. which the factory unit cannot provide.

I've asked reputable car installer shops and they recommend an Alpine CDE-136BT which will be $500 USD installed, including a SWI (steering wheel interface) module which will preserve the factory steering wheel controls.

Question to the forum: There are two antenna inputs on the factory radio - what are they for? The new radio only has one antenna jack. Which antenna from the factory unit should I use? What will I give up if I convert to the new unit?

I've heard of a store called Metra that sells harnesses to adapt new radios to factory units with no re-wiring. Is this true? Is this a DIY (Do-It-Yourself) job or am I better off sucking up the $500 to get a professional job?

Many thanks!

Al
2003 Discovery 86,000mi
This a do it yourself job for sure. Look online for the alpine. Most online retailers include the metra with the head unit. You can also order the steering wheel control adapter from the same place. Usually the adapter for the space left under the head unit is also included. It's as easy as plugging in a light switch once the head unit is out.

Old 09-16-2012, 01:56 PM
Three Wheeling

I would call Woofersetc and tell them what you need etc...they will help you out and it will probably save you $250.00.

Old 09-16-2012, 02:32 PM
Mudding
Default Alpine CDE-136BT

Waterfowl

Wow your 2000 D2 only has 80K miles? Must be just a weekend car!!!

Thanks for the info.

For everyone else, I also called Crutchfield and they confirmed that replacing your factory unit is very doable as a DYI job.

But they don't have an answer on why the factory unit has two antenna jacks. All they could tell me is just use one of them.

So does anyone here know why there are two antenna jacks for the original factory unit?

FYI Crutchfield also recommended the Kenwood KDC-X696 and the Alpine CDE-138BT. Both have Bluetooth, iPhone, USB, aux input and HD Radio for $50 more.

They walked me through the installation process and I will post the head unit, SWI and harness model and part #s in the forum to aid other members just in case they are interested in doing the same thing

Al G
'03 Disco

Old 09-16-2012, 03:18 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by aguison
Waterfowl

Wow your 2000 D2 only has 80K miles? Must be just a weekend car!!!

Thanks for the info.

For everyone else, I also called Crutchfield and they confirmed that replacing your factory unit is very doable as a DYI job.

But they don't have an answer on why the factory unit has two antenna jacks. All they could tell me is just use one of them.

So does anyone here know why there are two antenna jacks for the original factory unit?

FYI Crutchfield also recommended the Kenwood KDC-X696 and the Alpine CDE-138BT. Both have Bluetooth, iPhone, USB, aux input and HD Radio for $50 more.

They walked me through the installation process and I will post the head unit, SWI and harness model and part #s in the forum to aid other members just in case they are interested in doing the same thing

Al G
'03 Disco
I'm trying to remember about the two antenas. I think they have different ends and only one worked with the head unit. I just used the one that fit. I have a alpine head unit also.

Old 09-16-2012, 03:35 PM
Winching

Well, if I understand the RAVE explanation (not claiming that I do, just this is what I get out of it) Page 1368-1370 describes the left rear window antenna as FM only on the high line entertainment system and the right rear window antenna as AM/FM antenna for high, medium, and low line entertainment systems. Seems that it is saying that the only system that uses the left window antenna is the high line system (I'm assuming that's the one with the CD player, maybe all the NA systems are high line). So if one was going to only use one antenna lead it would be the one from the right rear side. I'm still not entirely sure of all this, just throwing it out. Good thing I only hear out of one ear and can't hear in stereo anyway so it doesn't really matter to me.

Old 09-16-2012, 03:41 PM
Mudding

Bkreutz, you're right about the antennas. I installed my Kenwood using only the standard AM/FM antenna lead and didn't notice any change. I just taped up the FM-only lead and pushed it to the back.

Old 09-16-2012, 03:54 PM
Mudding

I just placed my order to Crutchfield. How do you place an image as part of a post? I want to paste a copy of the order. Sorry still pretty new to this forum

Old 09-16-2012, 03:58 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by FLDiscoII
Bkreutz, you're right about the antennas. I installed my Kenwood using only the standard AM/FM antenna lead and didn't notice any change. I just taped up the FM-only lead and pushed it to the back.
@BKreutz and FLDiscoII:

Thanks for the info on the two antennas. Regards, Al G