Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I an idiot?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 10:45 PM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Unhappy Am I an idiot?

So I just removed the front prop to do the rebuild and I tried to drive it and nothing. Huh? Am I being the most dense idiot on this forum?? I had the transfer case in N while I took the prop out but then I jumped in, put the tranny in N and shifted the tcase into H. Just whirring. I have a feeling I'm making some guys laugh REAL hard right now, but I'm stymied.

Note: before taking the prop out earlier today I got into it taking a turn and actually lit up the tires...but I honeslty think it was only the front, or at least that's what it seemed. ??

I did not search this topic. Be gentle if you've explained 9 gazillion times before...I posting this on my iPhone and 5 am comes early so laziness took over.

Old 08-15-2010, 11:00 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

I'm assuming you have a Disco II because you mentioned "the rebuild". What year is your vehicle? With a driveshaft removed, your vehicle will not move, unless you are ale to lock the transfer case. If you have a '99 to early '01, there will be a nipple sticking up at the top of the front of the transfer case. Use a wrench to turn it slightly to lock the transfer case, enabling you to drive with only the rear driveshaft in place. If you have a mid '01 to '03, your vehicle will remain stationary until you put that front shaft back in. If you have an '04, lock the transfer case with the shifter inside the vehicle. If you have a Disco I, lock the transfer case from inside the vehicle.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:11 AM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lordmorpheus
I'm assuming you have a Disco II because you mentioned "the rebuild". What year is your vehicle? With a driveshaft removed, your vehicle will not move, unless you are ale to lock the transfer case. If you have a '99 to early '01, there will be a nipple sticking up at the top of the front of the transfer case. Use a wrench to turn it slightly to lock the transfer case, enabling you to drive with only the rear driveshaft in place. If you have a mid '01 to '03, your vehicle will remain stationary until you put that front shaft back in. If you have an '04, lock the transfer case with the shifter inside the vehicle. If you have a Disco I, lock the transfer case from inside the vehicle.

You are quite right about the D2, yes I did know about diff lock, and yes, thanks for answering the title of this post in the affirmative.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:41 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by ShortTom
You are quite right about the D2, yes I did know about diff lock, and yes, thanks for answering the title of this post in the affirmative.

Lol, I tried to be as gentle and informative as I could possibly be.