Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I installing this fuel filler grommet right?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 11:05 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Am I installing this fuel filler grommet right?

I've been wrestling with the fuel filler neck for a while now, trying to install a new grommet after the old one turned to goo.

I kind of got it installed today, but I'm not 100% confident I'm doing this correctly. The grommet has a thin side and a thick side, and I'm not sure I have it oriented properly. At first I was putting the thin side toward the outside of the truck, and I had a hell of a time getting the neck to fit. Then I tried putting the thin side toward the back, and got the neck reasonably stuck in there. Could someone with an intact grommet check to see which orientation is correct?

Here are some pictures of what I'm dealing with: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Old 03-12-2016, 05:48 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by batard
I've been wrestling with the fuel filler neck for a while now, trying to install a new grommet after the old one turned to goo.

I kind of got it installed today, but I'm not 100% confident I'm doing this correctly. The grommet has a thin side and a thick side, and I'm not sure I have it oriented properly. At first I was putting the thin side toward the outside of the truck, and I had a hell of a time getting the neck to fit. Then I tried putting the thin side toward the back, and got the neck reasonably stuck in there. Could someone with an intact grommet check to see which orientation is correct?

Here are some pictures of what I'm dealing with: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
I have no idea but mine is gone so I'm subscribing.

Where did you get the new grommet?

Old 03-13-2016, 04:03 AM
Rock Crawling

The part number is WLR000010. I got one at a local supplier, but it's also available at AB, etc. https://www.roverparts.com/Parts/WLR000010G

As you can see in the pic, it has a thin side and thick side. Still not sure if I've got it in right, but it's not moving, so perhaps it is.

Old 03-13-2016, 09:54 AM
Camel Trophy

The part number is WLR000010. I got one at a local supplier, but it's also available at AB, etc. https://www.roverparts.com/Parts/WLR000010G

As you can see in the pic, it has a thin side and thick side. Still not sure if I've got it in right, but it's not moving, so perhaps it is.

Yeah I wish I could answer just by looking but mine is completely gone. No trace. I appreciate the link! Sometimes I have a hard time finding parts simply because I don't know what theyre called.

I'm guessing this requires something more than just slipping the grommet over the end. Probably have to remove the filler neck tube. Ugh.

Old 03-13-2016, 10:01 AM
Rock Crawling

You're lucky – mine turned into goo form and it got all over everything. The rubber these things are made of seems to be soluble in petroleum-based products (WD-40 wiped on it with a paper towel comes up black), which makes a WHOLE lot of sense given that it's near where you fill your gas tank.

I'm at the point of calling it done at this stage. There's nothing in the RAVE about its orientation, nor are there pictures/descriptions elsewhere online that I can find. My one piece of advice is you definitely have to seat the grommet to the body before pulling the filler neck through. You cannot put it on the neck and then seat it in the body.

Old 03-13-2016, 10:13 AM
Camel Trophy

You're lucky – mine turned into goo form and it got all over everything. The rubber these things are made of seems to be soluble in petroleum-based products (WD-40 wiped on it with a paper towel comes up black), which makes a WHOLE lot of sense given that it's near where you fill your gas tank.

I'm at the point of calling it done at this stage. There's nothing in the RAVE about its orientation, nor are there pictures/descriptions elsewhere online that I can find. My one piece of advice is you definitely have to seat the grommet to the body before pulling the filler neck through. You cannot put it on the neck and then seat it in the body.
Dissolves in gas? That explains why they slowly disappear. What a stupid thing. I think mine dried up when I garaged my Disco for five years (no use during that time). Maybe it requires some gas to keep it pliable, but gas dissolves it too. That would fit my view of some of the parts on our Discos.

Mine has a piece of hose insulation taped around it to prevent rattling. You are the only other human being who knows that...

Old 02-12-2020, 08:05 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Original positioning of grommet

Old 06-14-2021, 01:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevon Battersby
Can you describe it or take the cap off? there's a thin side and a thick side to the grommet.