Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Announcing Extinct Motorsports Engineering!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2023, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,268 Likes on 1,675 Posts

Awesome new products!!

Old 04-23-2023, 01:00 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Extinct
Whoops, looks like I made a mistake on the spares kit pricing. Two lucky souls got the deal of a lifetime on those, I lost about $60 each on those LOL. Oh well, my bad. Not as great a deal now. The spares kit and the plug wires were the only one with old placeholder prices, updated now. Mea Culpa guys.
I'm one of those lucky souls. Honestly, after pulling the trigger on that kit, I started doing the math in my head thought, he must have some really good supplier or something. Don't worry, I'll make it up buying pretty much everything you sell.

Here's a suggestion, an aluminum or composite air box. The air box in the D2 is garbage and they fall apart. I'd pay good money for something that improves that bad design.

The following users liked this post:
Dervish (04-23-2023)
Old 04-23-2023, 02:37 PM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

Extinct,

I love your new products. Regarding this side latch....

https://extinctmotorsports.com/stora...ches---2-sets/

I looked at the webpage and the pics... can still can't figure out how this works or is installed? Do you have an installation drawing/sketch to explain where to mount this latch please? Thanks

Old 04-23-2023, 02:46 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,450 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by acg
Extinct,

I love your new products. Regarding this side latch....

https://extinctmotorsports.com/stora...ches---2-sets/

I looked at the webpage and the pics... can still can't figure out how this works or is installed? Do you have an installation drawing/sketch to explain where to mount this latch please? Thanks
Yep, take a look at this and see if it makes sense.

https://store-tsiso4w9y7.mybigcommer...structions.pdf

If you have any questions after reviewing that if you still have questions let me know and I will answer them. I will get a video up in the next few days showing the operation.

acg (04-23-2023)
Old 04-24-2023, 11:53 AM
Mudding
Received 136 Likes on 78 Posts

The website looks great! I ordered some of the seat filler. Hoping it might work on my steering wheel too. When I have more time to look at how I want to organize things, I'll be back for more. Also looking forward to checking out the blog and the rest of the site.

Old 04-24-2023, 12:55 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

sight glass for trans and diff are great ideas... before ordering I am just wondering if it is a strengthened glass or material? my lock a rock would fly up and break it..

Old 04-24-2023, 08:04 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by rynoman1
sight glass for trans and diff are great ideas... before ordering I am just wondering if it is a strengthened glass or material? my lock a rock would fly up and break it..
Strengthened or not I would not run a sight glass on a front diff without a diff guard - for reference. So on the tcase, literally impossible for a rock to hit the tcase sight glass. On the transmission, the sight glass is quite small, about 7/16 glass diameter. Anything is possible but very very unlikely the transmission sight glass would get broken.

Last edited by Extinct; 04-24-2023 at 08:12 PM.
YETIX (04-25-2023)
Old 04-25-2023, 09:43 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 770 Likes on 506 Posts

Love the trans sight glass idea but if draining fluid imo might as well source a d1 or RRC transmission pan and enjoy the benefits of having a dip stick to check the level without crawling under the vehicle and be able to top off through the dip stick tube.

YETIX (04-25-2023)
Old 04-25-2023, 01:36 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by whowa004
Love the trans sight glass idea but if draining fluid imo might as well source a d1 or RRC transmission pan and enjoy the benefits of having a dip stick to check the level without crawling under the vehicle and be able to top off through the dip stick tube.
I don't disagree at all, I put the D1 dipstick on my daughters and love it! I always hate having to be under a running truck checking anything and think it is sketch as hell and ZF should not do it. Side level plug on one of my Jags was siezed in place, broke three bits trying to get it out before I gave up and put the range rover pan on it (bottom access).

That said, sourcing the D1/RRC/P38 pan and dipstick is getting much harder. As far as I know they are not available new from anyone and all of those models are getting super scarce in wrecking yards. It is the better solution from a safety standpoint as well as when you are either out on the trail or on your way to church or the office in nice clothes, but if you can't find one or don't like the price, then maybe consider the sight glass.

2nd point, as far as installation all you need to do is raise the front and remove the factory plug with the engine running, then screw in the sight glass. With the engine running and the front end raised you will not lose any fluid.

Thanks for helping to clarify the topic, I am sure some people were wondering about it. I will add to the product faq's as well.

The following 2 users liked this post by Extinct:
jastutte (04-25-2023), whowa004 (04-25-2023)
Old 04-25-2023, 01:39 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 770 Likes on 506 Posts

Fair points. I'm fortunate to have befriended a local indy shop so some of those harder to find bits are still accessible. That said I've had a D1 pan for like 2 years and have yet to put it in one of my D2s lol

Quick Reply: Announcing Extinct Motorsports Engineering!