Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Drive Shaft Warning!! REPLACE IT NOW!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 01:00 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Drive Shaft Warning!! REPLACE IT NOW!

Thankfully my story has a happy ending. After talking to Mike a year ago I'd been "meaning" to get that shaft replaced at my earliest convience. Called a few driveline places around town but wasn't happy with any of them or their prices...Time went by

Long story short last week on Thanksgiving day my 2003 DII with 92k miles develops a strange vibration on deceleration...DING DING DING SHAFT ABOUT TO ASSPLODE!

I park it until this monday, take it to my trusted Landy shop in town(Vibegot real bad around 40mph)and explain the problem. Puts it on the lift and says "shaft looks fine to me, I'll drive it and figure out where the vibe is coming from."

An hour later he calls and tells me its ready come pick it up. I get there and he's got the shaft on his front counter for a little show and tell. One half of the double cardon was completely siezed and would not rotate. The other half had major play in the joints. He explained that when it was bolted in everything looked tight and clean..no rust no play or anything. As soon as they dropped the shaft it was clear it was done. Thankfully they keep a rebuilt in stock and I'm good to go for another 100k miles with a little shot of grease every 3k.

DO NOT TRUST YOUR STOCK SHAFT! It will look good right up until it eats your transfer case.

Old 12-04-2008, 01:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default RE: Another Drive Shaft Warning!! REPLACE IT NOW!

You got lucky my friend, congrats. About a year ago, there was a guy on here that just purchased a D2, and a week later took it on a cross country trip. Before leaving, he had the front d/s checked at a garage where they just yanked on it (while still installed) and said it was ok. He got as far as the middle-of-nowhere Texas and the shaft failed and took out his tranny.

Old 12-04-2008, 01:51 PM
Drifting

I remember reading that story...Just three weeks ago a put 1000 miles on it for a hunting trip to South Dakota. I have a sneeking suspicion when I took it offroad and got it stuck in the cornfields I "helped" it fail.

General note..City tires on a rover ina muddy corn field gets you laughed at by the Dodge drivers. Still had fun.

Old 12-04-2008, 01:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Who cares as long as you don't get stuck!! That's more impressive IMHO.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:20 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

i have 16's and cooper discovers on mine. great in the farm fields, beats all dodges =). my drive shaft was changed to late, having the transfer case replaced in a week. made appointment today. under warranty =)

Old 09-28-2015, 11:06 AM
Overlanding
Default drive shaft exploded

ed][/B]
Originally Posted by Disco2Guy
You got lucky my friend, congrats. About a year ago, there was a guy on here that just purchased a D2, and a week later took it on a cross country trip. Before leaving, he had the front d/s checked at a garage where they just yanked on it (while still installed) and said it was ok. He got as far as the middle-of-nowhere Texas and the shaft failed and took out his tranny.
the same thing happened me to me I knew about the vibration about a month ahead of time and I couldn't figure out where It was coming from I thought it was exhaust gasket but it wasn't on my way home it was vibrating and accelerated in the sound like the drive shaft exploded took my truck out and put a hole in the transmission