Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Head Gasket Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2019, 03:29 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,178 Likes on 815 Posts

@tydeocean yes there is a different system some recommend Time-Sert, I think it is a better solution but that is based on research not real world experience.

I did not see that you did it, but is your oil ok no water contamination ?

Old 10-02-2019, 06:28 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default I think owning on of these baby’s is worth any amount of work

I’ve stripped the whole top end on my d2 new gaskets and all coolant hoses all from Atlantic British had my heads valves and seals done at machine shop cleaned and tested my injectors with new seals got my heads back today coat of engine enamel and this weekend along with video from Atlantic British she wil go together and live again oh and fix two holes in frame well worth it but it’s my baby.

Coat of paint and install

The following users liked this post:
CollieRover (10-02-2019)
Old 10-02-2019, 06:59 PM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Richard Gallant
@tydeocean yes there is a different system some recommend Time-Sert, I think it is a better solution but that is based on research not real world experience.

I did not see that you did it, but is your oil ok no water contamination ?
No water contamination in oil, and no gas in coolant system. Just leaking both oil and coolant from front passenger side, the oil is more of a seep like its a oil return leaking.

Old 10-02-2019, 07:30 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Getting a little mixed up on q and a.

I was loosing coolant small amount found it to be out back of gasket drivers side started as a misfire,any way I have, new gasket set new coil packs new plugs and wires serviced and tested injectors heads skimmed minimal,valves done and new seals,coolant flushed out oil drained and will be changed gas drained down and refilled with high test all connections to coil packs and injectors cleaned with electrical contact cleaner. So I’ll see if I fixed misfire thinking of that bolt on your head they are a one time use bolt maybe previous used again and broke it. One of my rear bolt head striped I had to grind it off after I got the head off torque on bolt was gone I unscrewed headless bolt with my fingers steel bolt in aluminum block should not be a problem if block is stripped maybe a larger bolt of same stretch type could be used it’s 15 foot lbs then 90 degrees Waite then 90 degrees again I’ve done this retap on head before but cast Iran block engine on stand. good luck remember anything’s posible

Last edited by britguy; 10-02-2019 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-03-2019, 05:55 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,509 Likes on 1,069 Posts

you can absolutely repair a stripped head bolt hole with a Helicoflex or timesert and if done per the instructions it will be stronger than the original threaded hole. The concern on the Rover block is the thread sockets are very close to the water jackets, so if you do it you need to make sure it is not cracked from when the original owner stripped it , you don’t go any deeper than original, and you should probably pressure test it hot.

Good luck!

The following users liked this post:
CollieRover (10-03-2019)